Windows 7 Windows 7 crashes on reboot during custom installation

jewin

I have just built a system with the following specs and Windows is crashing after rebooting during the install process:

motherboard: MSI H57M-ED65
CPU: Core i5 760
RAM: 4 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Boot drive: WD 500GB SATA
Additional drives: 4 x 2TB WD SATA
GPU: Zotac GEForce 9800GT
RAID Controller: Adaptec ASR-2405 RoHS SGL

The last installation attempt went as follows:
1. Booted from CD-ROM
2. Ran Custom install (as opposed to Upgrade install)
Copying Windows files (done)
Expanding Windows files
Installing features
Installing Updates
3. System restarts & boots from CD
4. "Setup is starting Services"
5. "Completing Installation"
6. Screen resolution adjusts
7. Setup will continue after restarting your computer
8. Boots from CD again
9. "Starting Windows"
10. Screen goes blank (black). No command prompt, no Windows screen, no restart

I've tried installing without the RAID card installed into the PCI-e slot. The video card cannot be removed with the Core i5 CPU, it must be in there for this CPU from what I understand.

I have not installed any drivers (i.e. for the RAID card, video card, etc). I'm using a USB mouse and USB keyboard. I've tried running windows without any USB ports in use and I still get the same result.

Help, please!

I just removed the RAID card and moved the boot disk and CD-ROM to SATA ports 3 & 4, with the same result. :(

Remove any 2nd monitor or tv attached. Leave only one monitor plugged in and try again.

If the issue persists, remove the video card and plug the monitor into the motherboard to install.

If it still persists, remove all RAM except one module and try again.

Thanks, TorrentG! The i5-750 will not support onboard video and I have just the one monitor installed. Trying the RAM now...
Any chance that the motherboard might have a problem?

Nah, really doubt there is any defect. Very unlikely.

Also be sure to set optimized defaults in the bios, at least until Windows is up and running. Then tweak whatever later.

You're welcome.

I've never heard of a processor incompatibility with onboard video, so I don't think that's correct at all. Do you have any reliable source for that? If not, then I'd definitely try installing with onboard video.

Although hrrrmmm...I am seeing some mention of it here and there.

Last edited:
Thanks. Trying the install with 1 dimm populated. If that doesn't work, I'll try the onboard video again.

Right, what I think it is, is that the i5 750 doesn't have on-die graphics - meaning on the actual cpu - while similar models do.

Same install result with just 1 stick of RAM. Maybe I need to disable some of the motherboard options?

Try with the bios set to optimized defaults. Try with a different single stick of RAM installed, in the slot closest to CPU. Then try again with onboard video.

If all that fails, then try the install from a USB stick. You can Google how to make the installer USB stick as it is fairly simple with proper instructions.

Ugh! I'm just not getting this, dude. I ran the install:
-from a USB drive,
-with 1 stick of RAM in,
-without the RAID card,
-with optimal BIOS settings
-with the chassis' external eSATA drive cable unplugged from the mobo

The install borked at the same place as last time. I tried the onboard video and the PC wouldn't boot.

This is my first time building a PC, so I wonder if I missed something with the assembly? I work for a hosting company and routinely plan out server builds for clients; so I know what components are needed, just have never plugged all the pieces together. Maybe I missed a jumper somewhere or didn't install some driver or something before running the Windows install.

This was like my 8th install attempt with different settings and they all stop here. I've googled Windows7 AND my motherboard model # together, but haven't really found much on people having issues with the components I'm using. Does anyone have anything else to try here?

I wonder, maybe Windows 7 is completely installed, but on first boot it's just hanging on a driver or something? What do you guys think?

"The last installation attempt went as follows:
1. Booted from CD-ROM
2. Ran Custom install (as opposed to Upgrade install)
Copying Windows files (done)
Expanding Windows files
Installing features
Installing Updates
3. System restarts & boots from CD
4. "Setup is starting Services"
5. "Completing Installation"
6. Screen resolution adjusts
7. Setup will continue after restarting your computer
8. Boots from CD again
9. "Starting Windows"
10. Screen goes blank (black). No command prompt, no Windows screen, no restart"

Back