Windows 7 Windows 7 Does Not Boot After Restore

radiodale

I did a successful restore to a previous date but when the computer was turned on after the restore it would not boot. I cannot get beyond the "starting Windows." Tried repair but no problems were found.
Dale

I suppose the first question would be have you tried Safe Mode, and if so what happens?

Why did you do a restore? Were any viruses involved?

Have you tried using the advanced options menu during boot, or the install DVD/
repair CD to load another restore point?

Safe mode produces the same result, only the cursor is larger. Restore was performed since I could not access any files on my Seagate external backup disk. I had just finished backing up my photos and documents (3 DVDs total) when this problem occurred. After I performed the restore a message popped up stating thst the restore was successful (but it obviously wasn't). No viruses were involved.
I tried the install DVD which also failed. Sequence was, I selected "install" then "upgrade" and a Compatibility Report screen appeared. Following message appeared, "Remove installation disk and restart computer so that Windows starts normally." This is impossible since the problem we are trying to solve is that Windows will not start normally. Trying another restore point also failed as the computer claimed there was not annother restore point. I know that there are many restore points since I lookd at the list to pick the one that I tried when this problem started. I hope you have more suggestions.
Thank you,
Dale

Is the Seagate drive still connected? What type of connection is it, eSATA or USB or Firewire?

Were you transferring the files from a DVD directly to the external drive? How were you moving the files?

You do not want Install on the Install DVD, you want the Repair option on the second window. From there you can restore, if there were any points you could use.

I have a tendence to think the external drive has possibly corrupted the install. I do not know exactly how, but if the drive is still connected, disconnect it and see what happens.

Seagate USB (auto backup drive) has been disconnected for several days.
I was backing up my photos and documents by copying them from the C drive to the DVD (internal) burner. Startup repair choice could not find a problem. Restore option reports that there are no restore points avalable as I previously stated.
Dale

I am sorry, but what you seem to say happened does not seem to make sense.

If all you were doing was moving files from the hard drive to the DVD, the Windows 7 boot should not have been effected.

If you restored because, all of a sudden, you could not access the external drive, a restore seems a little bit of overkill. There must be something going on you have not yet explained.

Are there any Digital Rights Management issues involved?

If the external drive has been disconnected, reconnect it. I have seen situations where the Win 7 system depended on drives, like the DVD drive, that would not be expected.

Thinking back, another reason for attempting to restore was that when I clicked on "computer", instead of it instantly showing all drives the green bar moved very slowly across the address bar before the drives were listed. Total drives were C, E (DVD), F (Seagate). No digital rights issues. I have reconnected the Seagate USB drive and nothing has changed.

I previously reported: "I tried the install DVD which also failed. Sequence was, I selected "install" then "upgrade" and a Compatibility Report screen appeared. Following message appeared, "Remove installation disk and restart computer so that Windows starts normally." This is impossible since the problem we are trying to solve is that Windows will not start normally."

How will I ever get Win 7 to reload with the above events?

I appreciate your help.
Dale

When you first installed Win 7, did you have any problems?

If it is booting all the way to the Starting Windows screen, there may be a driver problem. I have no idea why it would start after your stated senario. You seem to indicate you do not have a D: drive letter. Was this done on purpose?

Maybe give it more time to finish loading. If you were seeing delays prior to the restore, maybe your hard drive is having a problem. Other things might be going wrong, like the DVD drive. So you might even try disconnecting it to test. About all I can suggest prior to a complete reinstall is to troubleshoot whatever you can.

If you reinstall, I would probably get another hard drive and save the original one to use as a secondary drive until you get the information you need off it. You can only do an upgrade install from within an OS. You will need to do a Custom Install.

No problems after installing Win 7 over Vista. It has been running for months without a problem. Yesterday it did indicate a driver problem but whenever I selected one to load (from Win 7 disc) it said it couldn't find the selected driver. Does this mean that the DVD drive is defective? I chose several drivers with the same result. The D drive is a partition on the C drive created by HP for an image I think.

I will disconnect the DVD drive and see what happens. Thanks for not giving up.
Dale

DVD drive was disconnected with no improvement. Another DVD drive was substituted with no improvement. I have a new hard drive on order. Since my Win 7 copy was an upgrade I will have to load an old copy of XP first and then Win 7. I hope this works. What a pain.
Dale

Hi

You may not need to install XP before installing Windows 7 on your new hard drive.
Check the info in this link...

Link Removed - Not Found

I know someone who did the double installation of W7 successfully.

Once your have done the first install, about 20 minutes, don't activate it.
Start the process over and select upgrade and then when you finish the second time activate it and it will except you registration number.

Mike

Last edited:
You said you installed over Vista. Now you mention XP, is that a typo?

If the system has the recovery partition you seem to think D: is, you should be able to reinstall Vista easily. But you do not have to install an earlier version just to test. If you expect it to be your primary install, then you probably need to have an earlier version somewhere.

Do you know what driver you seem to be missing? It may not be on the Win 7 DVD.

Back