Windows 7 Windows 7 Freeze

Jwood1988

I have Recently did a Fresh Install Of Windows 7. I overwrote my Vista Drive, which didn't lose any data because it put all of the data into a folder called old.windows which was really cool. The install was flawless and went perfect. Another thing was that all the drivers were alread there which was really cool i think i only had to update my video driver and there was one driver that was listed as uknown (AMD away) Not so Sure about that but was easy to find thanx to google. So everything was running smooth and then it just all of the sudden Froze. The computer screen was frozen with the exception of the mouse which was moving until i press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then the mouse froze also. So I had to turn off the power and turn it back on. The next time it froze on the Log in Screen. So i Reset it again and this time was able to login but not even two minutes in it froze again. The Next Time I logged in using safe mode and this worked fine i was able to look into the Event Viewer And these are the two Errors that Showed Up right before the Critical Kernel Power Error. The Event ID: 43029 DAL, and 52236 CPLIB. There were some other errors but these were the one's that i thought had to do with the Screen Freezing. I really do Like all The New Features in Windows 7 But this Freezing is ridiculous. Any Help Would Be Really Appreciated.

Still No Luck

I have actually Reinstalled Windows 7 on a New Hard drive and everything still no luck freezing after only a couple of minutes of running. I have recently installed Windows 7 on a Virtual Machine and it worked fine. So i'm thinking it has to be driver related. I did happen to notice as soon as i logged on it download a driver ACPI something(freezing moments later) and i'm thinking it's either that driver because i have tried uninstalling and it will not let me it will say you need to restart and as soon as i restart it's still there. Either that or they still have not come up with a Windows 7 Driver for my Graphics Card i have an ATI Radeon 4800 Series. So i may try reinstalling and just turning off Windows Update so that one Driver does not download

Anybody else had any Luck with the Windows 7 so far i think its just a good looking piece of sh*t but i'll try anything once except beastiality and incest.

* Update Played with it a little bit i actually managed to Run Windows 7 for a Record of 10 minutes. I have updated all my drivers and that was it i was looking through some files on my External Hard Drive and it FROZE again. Not one of those freeze for a couple of minutes and works again but FROZE and the mouse still was able to move but no long prob like a couple of minutes after it froze the mouse cursor froze also.

DOes anybody know how to fix this or has the same problem

Fix

Well I have been Having Problems With Windows 7 64 Bit, Today I think I Figured it out, I have been Running Windows 7 For a Couple of Hours Now.... I changed the Screen Resolution From 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600 and has been running smooth of course everything is like huge but you can just adjust icons to small size and really isn't that Bad i hope this helps, Hopefully by the time it is officially release we will be able to run the 1024 x 768 or a bigger screen size... I haven't really tried any screen resolutions past 1024 x 768 it could possibly just be that one if anybody tries and other screen sizes let me know....

My Graphics Card is an ATI Radeon 4800 Series

*This issue May be different for Other People.

I am really excited this is the first time i have been able to run Windows 7 for over 20 minutes

this happens to me to but sometimes it freezes straight away after startup but the muse is frozen to. it makes no different sounds at all just stops. cant do ctrl alt delete. i reboot then it works normally but sometimes it does this a lot. i reformatted but this doesnt help. i have a ati radeon hd 4890 video card if that helps.q9550.ep45 ud3l

hope someone can work this out

Driver

Yeah Stickman,

I've Been Reading Over Some of the other Forum Post and it seems that a Lot of people are having the same problem as us with ATI Graphics Cards. Nvidia seems to be working but not perfect either people said that there having freezes 30 - 60 seconds so hopefully with The Release on Like October 22nd or hopefully sooner this issue will be resolved. For Now the only way i can Mess with 7 is in a Virtual Environment, I've been trying new stuff everyday but i only mess with it a little bit everday i guess for right now i am happy with Vista... The only really noticable differnce i have seen is the Taskbar and The Desktops have where you can Set up multiple backgrounds... So there really isn't anything to special or different from Vista. But I also have not spent a lot of time on it either.

this is my problem any way with info aswell

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 13/09/2009 7:32:16 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Sam-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-09-13T11:32:16.426412200Z" />
<EventRecordID>2073</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Sam-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2009-09-13T11:32:16.426412200Z

EventRecordID 2073

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Sam-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

If you wanna try this you can, I been having lockups and tried this method, last time I had a lockup it was 4 1/2 hrs into system running before freezing. I am at 4hrs in sys. running now, with no gagdets running etc and hopefully this solves the problem if not its a try.

Do you have any desktop gagdets running?

if so, disable them "take em off the desktop"

Uninstall them and make sure sidebar is not enabled for start.

Reboot. Leave it and see if you get any sudden Lockups for the next few days etc.

Event ID Error that occurred to me.

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          9/12/2009 3:48:47 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Antec
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-09-12T20:48:47.843750000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3285</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Antec</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Last edited:
Freezing Narrowed Down to Wireless PCI Card for Me

I was experiencing this freezing as well with Windows 7 Pro. I do mean freeze too, all animations on screen stop, mouse stops, keyboard doesn't respond (can't even change the numlock status), and only remedied by hard resetting the machine. Like many of you I am running an AMD setup with a Phenom II on the 780G chipset, and an HD4830 video card. For me, it turned that the freezing IS NOT related to the chipset or video card.

My PCI wireless lan card is based on an RALINK chip, so I updated them from here, and the freezing has stopped COMPLETELY. Note that even though the RT256x/RT266x and RT257x /RT2671 /RT520x don't list Win7 Drivers, the package does in fact include them, for both 32bit and 64bit systems (web site just hasn't been properly updated).

I had noticed the freezing most when trying to run Windows Update, and I'm supposing the cause was due to Windows Update polling the driver and getting a 'fatal' response.

Last edited:
Wonder if my nvidia nforce chipset 15.35 WHQL drivers are causing my freezing, should I just uninstall them, let win7 handle the drivers?

edit:
the other day I woke up to w7 froze, I left the pc around 8:21pm, woke the next morning and seen it was locked up at 8:28pm, 7 minutes after I left the pc it was locked, so I hard restart, sat there looking at the pc after hard reset, in 7-8 minutes doing absolutely nothing, not moving the mouse or anything cpu0 and cpu1 was at 0% activity, the pc frozed again!

next time it froze, this morning, I timed it too,"wrote the time down I left the pc" I left the pc untouched at 10:24pm, woke this morning and seen that the pc locked up at 12:14am, absolutely doing nothing.

I Dunno, if it keeps going this way, I hate to say it & truly do not want to, it might be xp again. <<Grr.

Last edited:
New shot in the dark.

Update
9-26-2009 10:14 AM Completed all below.
Going to try something new.
I am disabling my two readyboost USB sticks and uninstalling them "unplugging them" & am not going to use them.

Went into bios did a few changes.

Advance
PCIPnP
Plug & Play O/S [NO] Default, Changed it to [Yes].
Primary Display Adapter [PCI] Default, Changed it to [PCI-E].

Under Power settings in Bios.

Power
ACPI Suspend Type [S1&s3] Default, <<that is either [S1(POS)] [S3(STR)] [S1&S3] ,so I have it set to Default [S1&S3].
ACPI APIC Enabled <<that is greayed out, cannot change it or Disable it, ACPI APIC is Enabled by Default.

This section is Power/APM Configuration.

Power
APM Configuration

Power Up On PCI/PCIE Devices [Disbaled] Default, <<Changed to [Enabled].
USB Resume from S5 [Disabled] Default, <<changed to [Enabled].
HPET Support [Enabled] Default, <<This here I had set [Disabled], I changed it back to Default [Enabled].
Power Up By PS/2 Mouse [Disabled] Defualt, <<Changed to [Enabled].
Power Up By PS/2 Keyboard [Disabled] Default <<I have a PS/2 Kboard Connected which is the only kboard I've got
& I changed this to [Enabled].

I cannot leave the pc right now, But! tonight when I hit the hay, We'll see if any freezes occur, in the morning time "9-27-2009" I'll check it.

Edit:
Also in power options I have all hibernation, power off , needless messy messy power options all disabled as well. Set to Highest performance as I always had it.
Edit:
9-26-2009 11:01AM
Uninstalled
ATK ACPI Utility.

Last edited:
Jwood1988 are you still having these freezes?

9-27-2009 9:00am
Well here is my update, I am still having them, Wrote the time down that I left the pc last night which was
10:11pm 9-26-2009 , Woke up this morning to a freeze, looked at the taskbar clock it was showing 1:47am 2-27-2009,
I have been on the PC all day yesterday of an uptime somewhere around 11 1/2 hours [doing all kinds of stuff]
of uptime with no problems at all, it had locked up exactly 3 hours and 36 minutes of idle time, like stated
above post of everything I have done. Also this morning after hard restart, I had disabled alot of task schedule
tasks, close to 55 of them, stuff like media center extender :S and many more "to many to write down",
Uninstalled nvidia PHYSX driver & nvidia chipset drivers.

I will post back in the morning of 9-28-2009 with results of any re-occurrences of this freeze.

epk1950, for which components in your computer have you installed proprietary drivers (ie, drivers which did not come from Windows 7 itself or Windows Update)?

epk1950, for which components in your computer have you installed proprietary drivers (ie, drivers which did not come from Windows 7 itself or Windows Update)?

Well, after install of w7 64bit, I ran driver sweeper, cleaned out what w7 had installed for my gfx card Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com
Then I installed Nvidia display driver 190.62, which that installed that physx driver as well.
Installed nvidia's nfore chipset driver Version: 15.35 WHQL, that includes the network driver & chipset driver.
I installed rivatuner which installed some driver, because I had to sign that driver with dseo utility.
all else w7 installed the rest like sound.

Well, after install of w7 64bit, I ran driver sweeper, cleaned out what w7 had installed for my gfx card Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com
Then I installed Nvidia display driver 190.62, which that installed that physx driver as well.
Installed nvidia's nfore chipset driver Version: 15.35 WHQL, that includes the network driver & chipset driver.
I installed rivatuner which installed some driver, because I had to sign that driver with dseo utility.
all else w7 installed the rest like sound.

Did uninstalling the nVidia chipset driver do anything for you?

If this was a clean install of Win7, Driver Sweeper was hardly necessary. Sounds like there is at least some possibility that fault lies with options set in RivaTuner. Uninstall the nVidia graphics driver and RivaTuner. After a restart, go to Device Manager. When you try to uninstall the display device from there, if you have the option of deleting associated drivers, do that:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

After that is done. Run nVidia's graphics driver installation utility. Leave graphics settings at default for a while to see if the computer runs stably before tweaking.

Back