Windows 7 Windows 7 Freezes after being Idle, or after Sleeping..

CathalUK

This suddenly began occurring about a week ago. The system runs fine, however if it is left for a fairly short period of time (15-20 mins) The program am I using will freeze and the cursor will change to loading. The task bar will then freeze if I try and click 'start', and I have to hold down my Power button to turn the PC off.
I have tried system restore, Defragmentation, and virus checks. Running out of ideas!
I'm using x64 Windows 7, and my specs are as follows.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20GHz
4.00Gb Ram (2x2gb Sticlks)
ATI Radeon HD5770

Help please!

Does it happen if you only have Windows running, no other applications - except those in the background? Does it freeze with any application(s) running?

One thing you could try is, take off all your security programs, and leave it idle for half an hour. Do you have several programs in that field?

Finally, Computer occassionaly freezes after being idle for a while. - Microsoft Answers

Let's hope you get it running soon. Annoying problem, I've had it too, but since I've had several pc builds in the last year, it disappeared with a re-installation.

Last edited:
Clean your temporary folder (type on start menu: %tmp% and delete all the deletable files/folders)
Do some disk error check - Go on computer (in start manu), right click on your local drive and select properties. Under Tools, below error checking, click check now. It will ask you to schedule check on startup, you should do..

Last edited:
Clean your temporary folder (type on start menu: %tmp% and delete all the deletable files/folders)
Do some disk error check - Go on computer (in start manu), right click on your local drive and select properties. Under Tools, below error checking, click check now. It will ask you to schedule check on startup..

Last edited:
Back