Windows 7 Windows 7 hibernates but wont come back out of it.

Chewy

I don't even know how to ask this question or search for it....

I newly reformatted my laptop and reinstalled with a new licensed Windows 7, replacing Windows XP. When I close the lid, OR, put the laptop into sleep mode, it does go into sleep mode, but - pushing keys or moving the mouse will not bring it out. I have to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to shut the laptop down (hard power down). So basically, I can never put the laptop into sleep mode. Any ideas?

When you try and take the laptop out of sleep, is there any noticeable activity, such as the fans starting or hard drive spinning?

Thank you very much for responding.

Nope, nothing. No lights, no hard drive whirring, no fans. Its like its shut off.

I've just had a thought, are you going into Sleep mode or Hibernation? A computer can be taken out of sleep with a simple key press, but when in hibernation, a computer needs to have the power button pressed. Check what your computer is set to do when the lid closes in Power Management in the Control Panel.

Its not going into hibernation... It happens when I physically go into sleep mode via the start button and go to "sleep". The screen goes black, and it sounds like it powers off to go into the sleep mode, but will not return.

Its not going into hibernation... It happens when I physically go into sleep mode via the start button and go to "sleep". The screen goes black, and it sounds like it powers off to go into the sleep mode, but will not return.

So, when you press the power button, it turns on as if from being totally off?

When I hit power, nothing happens.... I have to hold the power button until it actually powers off. Then restart, with the menu to log into windows via normal, safe mode, etc.

I'm having the very same problem, in fact, it's the very reason why I joined the forums.
When I close my laptop,
it goes into hibernation and turns back on when I press the power button without a problem.
If I leave my laptop open, it will eventually enter sleep mode.
My old computer, which ran on Windows XP would do this too, but it would come out of sleep mode after hitting a key.
But with my laptop, which is running on Windows 7,
it does not come out of sleep mode and I have to do a hard reset to get it working again.

I think I read somewhere that this is a W7 bug, and there may be a patch for it,
but I'm not sure where I can find this patch.

For now, I am disabling sleep mode and automatic sleep mode by going to:
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings
Then, I set the two drop boxes next to 'Put the computer to sleep:' to 'Never'.

Last edited:
That's what I have done too, disabled it. But it sucks that if my lid closes, it sucks that I have to shut down "the bad way". If you find out anything let me know, I will also post on another forum since they gave up on us here.

There are a couple of things you might check into.

On one of my systems, hitting the left mouse button wakes it up.

The Powercfg utility is used quite a bit to track down problems with sleep/hibernation. There are different levels of sleep and your system may not be capable of using the one being directed by Windows 7, so type the command below followed by enter. Shut down all non-essential programs you can, and watch where the resulting report is stored. Open an Administrative command prompt:

Powercfg -energy

Give it time to work. Go to where the report is stored and copy it to the desktop and open from there. You will probably see many comments about USB devices, so do not be too concerned with those. Look for warnings or other indications of a problem. Check the listing of what sleep states your system is capable of and you can check the power settings to see if that is what Windows 7 is requiring.

There are many options for Powercfg, so you might type it and -? to see other options.

Attach the report if you so desire using the paperclip on the Advanced Reply page (may have to zip first).

One more thing, just for the heck of it, while you are in that administrative command window, type bcdedit and enter. Use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach that also. I would like to check to see how your resume or recovery options are stated.

Well well well, look who it is! Saltgrass!! Amazing you should respond to my post again. I was the "windows 7 wont update" guy. :) Our prayers are answered!

When I type powercfg -energy, it tells me "The ENERGY command requires administrator privileges and must be executed from an elevated command prompt.

When I type BCEDIT, it tells me The boot configuration data stored could not be opened. Access is denied.

Thanks Saltgrass!

I knew who you were :)

You have to use an Administrative command prompt. Right click on the Command Prompt and select Run as Admin. or type cmd in the Start Menu search box and hit CTRL+Shift+Enter. The commands should run from there.

And I am sorry I mistyped the second command it should be BCDEDIT..

I must have really stood out if you remember me. :)

The powercfg -energy says to wait 60 seconds, but I waited - and waited - and it seems it never finishes.

And below, here's the BCDEDIT

snippet.jpg

Oh, by the way, my computer is updating properly even on my own network :) Guess it had to do a jumpstart from my neighbors! :)
You are a computer god!

The fact the utility will not complete must mean something, I will have to do some research-tomorrow.

For now, you might check your bios and see what the settings are for the ACPI power option.

Do you have any devices you can disconnect prior to running the check?

Perhaps change the current power scheme for a while.

Instead of running the entire test, perhaps just a part to see if it works at all. Thy the following in the same Administrative command prompt.

Powercfg -Devicequery wake_from_any

I am more interested to see if it works that what it actually says. It took about 3 seconds to run on my desktop.

Also remember the system acts differently if plugged in or not.

The BCDedit readout looks normal.

And I don't remember, but have you loaded any special drivers for the unit after the reinstall, like chipset? Does Device Manager show any yellow marks next to a device?

1) Nothing at all is plugged in to the laptop except the AC Power
2) Running Powercfg -Devicequery wake_from_any gives me the snippet below.
3) No conflicts in device manager
4) No special drivers loaded - Windows 7 picked up everything

Attachments

• snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 528
I have been unable to find any information as to why Powercfg -energy would not complete, so I will have to assume something would not allow itself to be evaluated and stalled the assessment or you had another diagnostic utility running.

So let us go another way. Try these commands to gather more information. If you want to know what they do, use the powercfg -? command and check the options.

Powercfg -A

Powercfg -requests

Powercfg -requestsoverride

Maybe something will show up in one of these operations. If we do not find anything, I will ask you check the manufacturer to see if it has Windows 7 x64 drivers available for your system. You do not have to do anything, just check what is available. The reason is that sometimes the Windows 7 drivers a just a vanilla brand and do not allow for full functionality.

I was also looking at the report you did provide and notice some rather large differences from mine. I realize we have different systems and of course the reports will be different, but it seems some things that should be fairly important are not in your report. You can reference mine in the attachment.

Your report mentions USB almost exclusively, plus Audio, Ethernet, UMBus and HDA modem.

If you notice, mine has many references to the chipset, which makes me a little suspicious as to why yours does not.

Attachments

• Power devices.GIF
    Power devices.GIF
    19.3 KB · Views: 569
Well, yeah, there are a lot of differences. This doesn't sound good :(

Also, don't know if it matters, but I didn't tell you.... I can't even "restart". If I do, it never comes back up. Now I am wondering if it even shuts down properly. The screen goes black after it says "Shutting down", but does it really shut down? Hm... I will try shutting down now, and check when I boot back up if it says "Safe mode, normal, etc".

Here are the screen shots of those you told me to check out....

-requestsoverride.JPG-requests.JPG-a.JPG

The last screen shots are the same as my laptop.

Your system settings are probably already like this, but to set them up like mine, go to the Power Panel and Edit Plan settings, change advanced settings.

In the Window under sleep, there is an "Allow hybrid sleep" option. My laptop shows NO for plugged in and not. Perhaps set yours the same way if it is not already. Test that for a while. If it is already set that way, I will have to go back to checking on your chipset drivers.

Back