Windows 7 Windows 7 hibernates but wont come back out of it.

I don't see Allow Hybrid Sleep. See snippet again, the right side is power options. The left is where I clicked on "Advanced settings".

Also, I just did a shut down.... the laptop does not go off fully! The power button is still lit blue! If I push it to turn it on, it won't turn on. I have to hold it down to "shut it off", then it will go on. The odd thing is, it does not give me that menu when you shut down incorrectly.

So, it may be a shut down problem - computer not going off. Do we have to start over?

power.JPG

Its set to "off" for both plugged in and on battery.

But now the fact that we know its not just the sleep, its the shutdown... doesn't that change things?

Does the shutdown change things, no. This all seems to be related to an ACPI problem. I will attach my laptop report like the one you made. Check the references to the ACPI and other system devices you do not show in your report..

Did you find the drivers you were to look for? If not, what is the model of your laptop, I will check.

Attachments

• Power Report Laptop.GIF
    Power Report Laptop.GIF
    10.8 KB · Views: 465
I used SlimDrivers. Amazing, totally awesome program. It found 7 drivers out of date. I updated each and every one, and still the same problem. I also reset bios to defaults, and still same issue. So basically to narrow this problem down, when I either go to standby, restart, or shut down, it acts as if its shutting down, it says "Logging off", then switches to "Shutting down", the screen goes black, but it never restarts. My power button still glows blue. The only way to get it back up is to hold the power button down to shut it off (10 seconds or so).

I am on a Gateway ML6732

I found a 6730, but no 6732. There were Vista x64 drivers, but no Windows 7 drivers.

Since there are only the Windows 7 included drivers, or possibly the Vista x64 drivers (which I will not recommend for now) you may be stuck.

Perhaps updating the bios would help, the one on the site for the 6730 shows Ver. 93.13 Dated 8/18/2010. Updating the bios can be problematic and if the update were to fail, the computer would probably be useless, if no recovery utility is available.

I do not remember if you said, but did this computer shutdown and sleep normally with the older OS?

Yup, with the old OS, it shut down properly.

I think a model 6730 is the same thing. I have done bios updates before, but kind of hate doing them. Argh. I'm stuck?!?!?!

Just great :(

I don't enough about the way ACPI works to know for sure. Maybe you could disable it in the bios to see if it makes any difference.

What they normally say about Safe Mode is that only essential drivers and services are loaded. If your system works better that way it would have to follow that some device or service might be causing a problem. Msconfig.exe has a couple of ways to start your system by eliminating only partially what is started.

On the General tab there are options you can select. You can try a Diagnostic startup which loads only what might seem to be the same things loaded in Safe mode. Next you can go to Selective Startup and choose either load system services or Load Startup items. If one works and the other doesn't then you have narrowed down the problem.

Some folks also recommend using the Services tab and check "Hide all Microsoft services" then choose disable all, which should leave only the Microsoft services starting.

After each step, you might try the Powercfg -energy utility again to see if it completes.

Do you see any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer?

Ok, problem now solved.

I was poking around in BIOS, and found out there is a battery problem. (Yeah, the battery only lasts 5 minutes, not sure if that mattered), but apparently it does. I removed the battery, booted up, and rebooted. It reboots! It was the battery all along. Odd. So now I have to use this laptop without the battery in if I want to close the lid.

Once again, you are a computer genius, and such a wonderful person for helping me yet again. I appreciate it!

See ya next time! :)

Finding that one was all you. I know the powercfg utility would check the battery, but I would have guessed a bad battery would have given other indications. I will put this info in the data base..... :)

Glad you go it working..

Back