Windows 7 Windows 7 home "Device installations settings" problem

Edwin T

Just built this computer, and I seem to be having problems with windows constantly installing my boards audio driver. Speakers go crazy with static sound. I know its the driver cause when I uninstall it, windows automatically the same driver when restarting.

I then read about the "device installation setting". Sites explain how to disable the "automatic" installation of drivers. However, when I do this, I get like 5 pop up windows of the same window menu where one changes the setting. So I delete all of them only keeping one window and do it with that one. But it doesnt work.

Im stuck here cause windows wont let me disable it. Can anyone give me a fix for this problem?

I know its the driver cause when I uninstall it, windows automatically the same driver when restarting.
That does not mean the driver is causing this problem.

Windows is reinstalling the driver because it is detecting the hardware. If you don't want it detecting the hardware, you need to remove it from the computer. If integrated, you need to disable it in the BIOS Setup Menu.

Did you try downloading the latest driver from the board maker's site?

Well, the only reason I say its the driver and not the actual sound card hardware, is that when I uninstall the driver, windows automatically re-installs it again upon restarting the computer and then suddenly it works fine.Which then later I have the sound problems again, I have to do this all over again.

However, I have found that I can check a box to erase the driver permanently. I have downloaded from the driver from the Realtek site rather than from the motherboard site. The one from the Asus site I think has caused some problems ever since I installed it. I had no problems with the original when I clean installed the OS.

...and then suddenly it works fine
Ah! Well you left that part out in your opening post. So yes, knowing now it starts working does suggest it could be drivers.

So now that you have installed drivers from Realtek, does it work right?

Yeah its working normally now. Thanks for the help. Was worried there that I might have to disable the sound on the MB and install a separate sound card on the only working pci slot of the board.

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Somehow my computer went into sleep mode. (I coulda swore I set it to run and never to sleep besides the monitor)

Well, anyways after sleeping and then me pressing a key to awaken it, I noticed that I was having problems again with the sound card. crackling sounds and when pressing the volume sound at 100 %, it didnt make that common "ding" sound I usually hear. Figured I had to "uninstall and re-install" once more.

However, before doing that, I simply "disabled" it in "device manager" and then subsequently, "re-enabled" the device. (without restarting) To my surprise, the problems went away.

Now Im wondering if this really is a driver problem or a hardware problem.

Looks like I just might have to ditch the MB sound and buy a daughter board sound card or simply just constantly "disable and re-enable" the thing in the device manager.

(mind you, Im sorta new to windows 7 since I finally left xp after so many years of use)

Back