Windows 7 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit won't boot after restoring from system image

AkashaJSummer

Honorable Member
After restoring my pc from a system image, when windows resarts, it won't boot, & I'm taken to the "startup repair" option screen. After Startup Repair is performed I get the message "Startup Repair Cannot Repair This Computer Automatically" with the following problem details:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 52
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: BadPatch
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

It says that the root cause found is "A patch is preventing the system from starting" Error code = 0x490.

How can I fix it?

Was the system image made by Windows Backup on that computer?

I have not seen that problem before, can you boot into safe mode?

How do I boot into safe mode?

The following are some more details:

OLD SYSTEM
> 3 x 2TB HDD's
> Booted from Windows 7 HP 64bit Upgrade Disc
> Installed using "Custom" option.
> Left "Product Key" blank.
> Upgraded through OS using "Upgrade" option on Upgrade Disc.
> Entered "Product Key".
> Registered Windows.

SYSTEM IMAGE DETAILS
> Created by Windows Backup onto external HDD
> Contains 4 partitions
> HDD 1 = (C:) plus Windows System files.
> HDD 2 = (D:) & (F:)
> HDD 3 = (E:)

NEW SYSTEM
> Same as old but with 3 x new 3TB HDD's.
> Booted from Windows 7 HP 64bit Upgrade Disc.
> Installed using "Custom" option.
> Left "Product Key" blank.
> Did not upgraded through OS using "Upgrade" option on Upgrade Disc.
> Did not download any Windows updates.
> Did not register Windows
> Installed SATA driver for external HDD.

RE-IMAGE DETAILS
> Started system image restore in Windows Backup.
> Prompted to perform system image restore by booting from upgrade disc.
> Successfully performed the re-image using SATA connection.
> PC restarted.
> Booted up to Windows screen then restarted.
> Prompted to either "Repair Startup" or "Start Normally"
> Startup Repair was unsuccessful.

TROUBLESHOOTING
> Booted from upgrade disc
> Successfully performed another restore using same system image
> Was performed useing USB connection because SATA was unavailable.
> Windows still won't boot.
> Am trying new re-image of only files required for Windows to run.

QUESTIONS
> Does Windows 7 need to be installed to perform restore from system image?
> Should all Windows 7 updates be downloaded before attempting system image restore?
> Should I have upgraded through OS using "Upgrade" option on Upgrade Disc, then registered Windows before attempting system image restore?
> Why did Windows Backup Prompt me to perform system image restore by booting from upgrade disc? Help & Support recommends using Windows Backup to perform system image restore onto a new computer not by booting from upgrade disc.

Thanks for your support.

It will take me a while to sift through your setup.

Windows 7 can only access 2 TBs at a time. If you have a partition larger than that, you need a GPT format drive.

I have to be careful about certains situations regarding the Windows 7 install, but from what I understand, you did a custom install..... I will get back when I understand your drive situation.

Edit: You have to do an image restore from the WinRE environment. It will give you the option to restore from image just after it looks for Windows 7 installs. The fact you are using such large drives may have an effect, but the image should set your drive up as it was on the original install, so the partitions should be 2 TB or less. But as I think about it, right now I cannot say for sure if that limit is based on actual hard drive size, or partition size. I'll have to check and get back.

You did do an image backup, and not just a files and folders backup? So the folder on the external drive says "WindowsBackupImage"?

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely did an image backup, I did 2 image backups, I'm trying the other image backup now which is just of the files required for Windows to run & does not contain any other drives.

Would you please tell me: Does Windows 7 need to be installed to perform a restore from a system image? Or can I just boot from the OS disc & go into repair to re-image PC without first having to install Windows 7?

If you have a recovery CD or an Install DVD, you can boot to the WinRE environment with those. Windows 7 does not have to be installed to restore a system image.

The same thing happend with the other system image - windows would not boot after successful re-image. It's fair to say that it's not the system images that are causeing the problem.

I'm trying again - this time I deleted all partitions prior to re-image. I noticed that each disc is split in two e.g. disc 0 1957GB, disc 0 765GB (I have forgotten the exact amout of GB, so this is just an estamate). I realise this is because of the size restrictions.

If this doesn't work I am all out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

Try one of the smaller hard drives for testing. I have been unable to find a difinite answer about the size limitation. I is suggested the partition size is what matters, but I am still not convinced.

You do not need to partition the drive ahead of time, it will be restored exactly as it was, which is why I am thinking, but not convinced, the larger drive might be causing the problem.

If it isn't the drive, it would have to be your images, or a hardware problem...testing a smaller drive would help answer this question at least.

I have had a break through.

After setting the BIOS settings to default, Windows will now boot!

For some reason, having SATA set to AHCI was stopping it from booting.

So now it's booting BUT SATA it set to IDE by default!

I'm confused because my old system was set up with the SATA set to AHCI - so why is Windows now not booting when set to AHCI?

Glad you got it working, but not even sure I should try to answer such a question..:)

Your image must not have been set up to boot using the AHCI controller. I don't know if the larger drives were involved, but this does seem to be a strange situation.

You might check the registry and see what the value of a key is. If it is 0, the AHCI controller is enabled, if 3 it is not. Start regedit and just check the value since making changes can mess you up.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci look on the right pane and see if the value of Start is 0 or 3...0 for enabled, 3 for disabled.

It was already set to 0.

"Your image must not have been set up to boot using the AHCI controller" Is there an option to set up an image to boot using the AHCI controller?

When doing the re-image there is an option to select a driver but it would not except the AHCI driver or the SATA driver that are from the motherboards website.

Do I need another driver from a different source?

If I understand you question, I have never seen an option for a controller during a re-image. It just uses how it was imaged originally.

If the registry was set to use the AHCI controller and you had an AHCI controller loaded, it should have been able to boot to the original image with the bios setting you had.

Frankly, I cannot explain what seems to be happening with your system. Maybe if someone were to send me a 3 TB hard drive, I could test! :cool:

This issue was resolved by installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology [v10.1.0.1008]", it seems that 3TB hard drives are not supported by "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver [v8.9.0.1023]", which means I have to re-install Windows & discard the system image if I want to use 3TB hard drives. Because the re-imaged system won't boot in AHCI mode there is no way of installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology [v10.1.0.1008]".

Back