Windows 7 Windows 7 Install Fails on Dell Vostro 220

hmccorkle

This is my first post on this forum. Thank you for your time and help.

I have the Windows 7 Beta disc and I am trying to create a partition and install it on my Dell Vostro 220 (see my profile for full PC details).

I have 3 partitions:

1. FAT16 - Primary - 70MB FAT16 - 0xDE (EISA Configuration)
  2. OS (C) - Primary, Active - 152.2GB NTFS (Windows XP Pro)
  3. NTFS (F) - 80.61GB NTFS (Empty)
I am trying to install Windows 7 on partition 3, but the installation is giving me an error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

Here's my procedure:

1. Insert CD
  2. Restart
  3. Boot from CD
  4. Start Installation
  5. "Custom (Advanced)" Installation
  6. Created new partition on unallocated space (currently partition 3 NTFS)
  7. Copying files... OK
  8. Expanding files...
  9. Error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."
  10. Restart and boot XP
Software I'm using on XP that may be interfering:

• Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
  • ESET Nod32 Antivirus 3.0.650.0
Any ideas on what I can do to fix this error and eventually dual boot XP Pro and Windows 7?

I use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10, so it wouldn't be that interfering, I can't tell you about ESET, never used it.

Hello, I'm having the same issues but on an Acer Laptop.

I was dual booting Vista and Ubuntu what I did was wipe the Ubuntu partitions and use the Vista rescue disk to reinstall Vista's boot manager. Once it did that booting into Vista was fine.

I reboot with the W7 DVD and run through the installer it reboots, showing that it's edited the boot manager to include W7 then runs though another part of the install reboots again and starts to complete the install then throws up the error

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed"

Meanwhile the boot record has clearly been edited by W7 because on reboot there is an entry for W7. The only difference between this entry and the final install entry on my desktop is that the time out is 3 seconds and on my desktop W7 resets the time out to 30 seconds.

First of all I'm not quite sure why the boot record has to be written twice. The first time, while the install is running the time out is 3 seconds, then when the install is near completion it tries to rewrite the record for a 30 second timeout but fails.

I'm ripping my hair out here; it just does not make sense to me. If I wipe Vista and install W7 on it's own everything is fine however I don't want to loose Vista for now.

Google shows they same problem with Vista when upgrading from XP but nothing helps with W7.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan

Installation problems

Here are a couple fixes for Windows 7 installation issues:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Link Removed due to 404 Error

This is my first post on this forum. Thank you for your time and help.

I have the Windows 7 Beta disc and I am trying to create a partition and install it on my Dell Vostro 220 (see my profile for full PC details).

I have 3 partitions:

1. FAT16 - Primary - 70MB FAT16 - 0xDE (EISA Configuration)
  2. OS (C) - Primary, Active - 152.2GB NTFS (Windows XP Pro)
  3. NTFS (F) - 80.61GB NTFS (Empty)
I am trying to install Windows 7 on partition 3, but the installation is giving me an error: \"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.\"

Here's my procedure:

1. Insert CD
  2. Restart
  3. Boot from CD
  4. Start Installation
  5. \"Custom (Advanced)\" Installation
  6. Created new partition on unallocated space (currently partition 3 NTFS)
  7. Copying files... OK
  8. Expanding files...
  9. Error: \"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.\"
  10. Restart and boot XP
Software I'm using on XP that may be interfering:

• Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
  • ESET Nod32 Antivirus 3.0.650.0
Any ideas on what I can do to fix this error and eventually dual boot XP Pro and Windows 7?

You may adapt with some modification the page from Peter Bromberg's 'playbook' in his experince with VISTA installation on a new partition in a system with an existing WinXP X64 on another drive. You can find the long and interesting post here: Peter Bromberg's UnBlog: VISTA RTM: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration." - And BCDEDIT For Dummies

Back
Top Bottom