Windows 7 windows 7 install--use of thumbdrive for various drivers

normco

newbie on windows 7 install. got updated graphics/raid controller card drivers on a thumb drive. can I insert a thumbdrive with graphics card/raid controller drivers when it asks, or will this cause problems?

should be fine but usually you have to get them down to the .inf level
like my Nvidia here

Attachments

• driverinf.png
    driverinf.png
    5 KB · Views: 489
newbie on windows 7 install. got updated graphics/raid controller card drivers on a thumb drive. can I insert a thumbdrive with graphics card/raid controller drivers when it asks, or will this cause problems?

No, it shouldn't cause any problems at all. You can just run the driver from there. I use a portable USB 2.5" hard drive to do exactly the same thing.

Also, you don't need to worry about getting them down to the ".inf" level. Those steps are unnecessary.

Also, you don't need to worry about getting them down to the ".inf" level. Those steps are unnecessary.
Well, how many installs have you done? I have done several hundred developing an application

Code:
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\High Precision Event Timer\dmi_pci.inf is boot-critical. - CDriverPackage::FillInPackageDetails
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                         IsDriverPackageSigned: File [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\High Precision Event Timer\dmi_pci.inf] is signed by a catalog [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\High Precision Event Timer\dmi_pci.cat]
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Signature status of driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\High Precision Event Timer\dmi_pci.inf is: SIGNED - CDriverPackage::InitSignatureStatus
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) 5520 5500 X58 I O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers\IntelIOH.inf is boot-critical. - CDriverPackage::FillInPackageDetails
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                         IsDriverPackageSigned: File [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) 5520 5500 X58 I O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers\IntelIOH.inf] is signed by a catalog [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) 5520 5500 X58 I O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers\IntelIOH.cat]
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Signature status of driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) 5520 5500 X58 I O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers\IntelIOH.inf is: SIGNED - CDriverPackage::InitSignatureStatus
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2\ichaid2.inf is boot-critical. - CDriverPackage::FillInPackageDetails
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                         IsDriverPackageSigned: File [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2\ichaid2.inf] is signed by a catalog [D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2\ichaid2.cat]
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Signature status of driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2\ichaid2.inf is: SIGNED - CDriverPackage::InitSignatureStatus
2010-07-09 09:07:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1968 Driver D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 1\ichacore.inf is boot-critical. - CDriverPackage::FillInPackageDetails

Well, how many installs have you done? I have done several hundred developing an application

I've done at least over two hundred installs of operating systems and installing drivers. The only time I use the .inf files is directing certain chipset drivers to various hardware components.

I wasn't trying to "rain on your parade", I just don't think it's necessary for video drivers that's all.

I use the installers such as ATI's Catalyst Control Center with embedded driver.

for an install they need to be extracted is all I'm saying it won't work with exe. It will parse sub folders but if you only have a floppy you can extract down to last folder and they are quite small for boot critical sata raid.
Or capture with Driver magician lite(free) or any program like that

for an install they need to be extracted is all I'm saying it won't work with exe. It will parse sub folders but if you only have a floppy you can extract down to last folder and they are quite small for boot critical sata raid.
Or capture with Driver magician lite(free) or any program like that

Cool! Sounds like you've done your homework to say the least.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

No, it shouldn't cause any problems at all. You can just run the driver from there. I use a portable USB 2.5" hard drive to do exactly the same thing.

Thank you for your time and patience. This is one nervous newbie, getting the hang of it though. Best wishes.

Back