Windows 7 Windows 7 Installed Boot files in the wrong HD

vinicius

Hi,
I told W7 to install the OS in the C: HDD and it did, except it also decided to install the boot files in another HD for whatever reason. I bought a brand new HD because my old one (with XP Pro) was giving me problems. Now, I can run the new system without the old HD. I need to transfer the BOOT folder and whatever else Windows 7 installed on the D: drive (old hd) transfered to the new so it can run the system on its own. These are the new file and folder I found in the old HD:

Bootsect.bak (file)
BOOT (folder)

Thank you!
Vinny

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

Could you provide a screen shot of Disk management?

Will it boot at all?

When you first start up if you have a boot setting option, click that and change to another hard drive If that doesn't work, choose the second hard drive If it boots, go into the BIOS and make the drive that boots to the top of the list.

Hi reghakr,
I already tried that. In fact I have disconnect one HD at a time and none of them run their respective OS without the other HD plugged in. Let me explain again, when I did a fresh install of Windows 7 in the C drive, W7 install the aforementioned files and folder in the wrong HD for a reason that is unknown to me. I need to find out how to transfer the files and folder and get it to work. I've read something about bcdedit but I'm sure what that is and how I would go about transferring these files to the C drive. I mentioned something about going to the Bios and changing the booting setting. That is not an issue, I can run W7, the issue is that W7 installed the system on C and some boot files on D and I need to transfer these files from D to C.

I think your MBR is going to be messed up, so it might not work to just moving some files around.

If you have a good install on you new hard drive, except for the boot, I would unplug the old hard drive. Use the Windows install DVD to "Repair" your system. A startup Repair might do it.

If you can get to the advanced boot options by hitting F8, you might be able to do it from there.

You do, as reghakr says, have to be careful as to which drive is drive 0 in the bios. And when I refer to drive 0, I am not talking about a partition letter like D:, but a physical hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom