Windows 7 Windows 7 is Faster than XP or slower than XP ?

eliqo

hi
i've installed in my computer windows vista in a while ago
and the computer was 2 times slower than when i used XP
i saw at when i've coded movies and the action took 2 times longer than in XP
i wanted to know if its recommand to buy and install windows 7 (if its workin' fast)
and i will be pleased
10x always :p

Post your PC specs as thats the primary factor to accessing performance.... Although to generalise, Windows 7 performs somewhere between XP & Vista, and if the specs are decent it will run faster than both.

Performance for W7 vs XP is somewhat user specific. I have W7 on two diff PCs now, and it runs slightly slower than XP (on average) for the various tasks I perform. It does seem better than Vista in all cases.

Ed

I have Windows 7 installed on a total of 5 different PC's.. 4 of which also have XP on them.. I have yet to find Windows 7 slower than XP or Vista for that matter... These pc's are all from very different era's as well.. The spec's definitely play a large role in performance as previously stated but I still say in general Windows 7 is faster than both Windows XP and Windows Vista.. ;)

Most data seems to indicate that it is close to XP, one direction or the other...which means its mostly irrelevant as Drew says.

There are 3 basic cases for W7 users:

1. New PC users
2. Recent PC users who have XP or Vista
3. Older PC users who have XP or earlier OS versions

Case 1 folks will generally have few options. They get W7, as it probably comes with their new PC.

Case 3 folks will have a lot of hardware that isnt supported by W7, so they are really not candidates.

Case 2 are the ones who have a decision. The issue for most of them is whether they will gain more than they lose when going to W7 in the next 12-18 months or so. Many will lose hardware and software in the trade up and gain some new features not really present in XP. Its a clear trade off, and decisions will vary greatly.

Ed

"2. Recent PC users who have XP or Vista"

Really recent users who have XP are the only ones who have much of a decision to make. Once a Vista user has tried 7, the decision has already been made.

"Many will lose hardware and software in the trade up and gain some new features not really present in XP. "

...and some old, familiar, and useful features from XP will be lost in the transfer.

"Really recent users who have XP are the only ones who have much of a decision to make. Once a Vista user has tried 7, the decision has already been made.

"Many will lose hardware and software in the trade up and gain some new features not really present in XP. "

...and some old, familiar, and useful features from XP will be lost in the transfer.

Many regular consumers with Vista will be hesitant to make a change soon, as they already feel burnt from the last Microsoft Great OS... For them it will take word of mouth from friends who did make the jump and that it was worthwhile.

Losing software was meant to include "...and some old, familiar, and useful features from XP will be lost in the transfer". And in fact, this will further be a factor for those same consumers who hesitate.

In the long run, W7 will likely do well, but it may take the release of SP1 to convert many of the case 2 types.

Ed

From cold start to Windows login, I would say that W7 is a little slower on my new HTPC system when compared to my old Dell workstation running XP. However, the old XP box has a bunch of programs that load in the system tray whereas actual time "boot time" would be longer on the XP. IMO, W7 takes longer to boot up to login, but once I enter my password, it's only 20 seconds tops when all programs loaded, as opposed to a couple minutes on the Dell.

Other factors to consider, my old Dell box is running 2gb of ram and using a P4 3.0ghz CPU that isn't overclocked. My new HTPC is running 8gb of ram and the new Dual Core E6300 overclocked to 3.8ghz (which some benchmark tests puts it on par with some systems running a Quad-core Q9550). But even with all this processing power and ram, it still takes a bit to get to the log in screen (probably due to the wait status of the bios parameters and then being prompted to boot from DVD - i keep forgetting to remove the DVD when I shutdown for the night), and I've also noticed that when I click on IE8, it doesn't launch immediately like it did when I first installed W7, but now takes about 5 seconds to launch. I installed Google Chrome and that takes about 1 second to launch, but I find certain functions lacking in Chrome in which I can't use it as my default browser anymore, like on some streaming videos, I click the enlarge video button and nothing happens. I use IE8 and visit the same URL, click the enlarge video button and it goes full screen. The bookmark issue with Chrome sucks, too. I hate the bookmarks and bookmark manager in Chrome.

hi
i've installed in my computer windows vista in a while ago
and the computer was 2 times slower than when i used XP
i saw at when i've coded movies and the action took 2 times longer than in XP
i wanted to know if its recommand to buy and install windows 7 (if its workin' fast)
and i will be pleased
10x always :p

Some things are faster in 7, while others are faster in XP. For example, boot and shut-down take less time in Windows 7, whereas quite a few games render more FPS in XP. Try Win 7 RC for free and get the feel.

Some things are faster in 7, while others are faster in XP. For example, boot and shut-down take less time in Windows 7, whereas quite a few games render more FPS in XP. Try Win 7 RC for free and get the feel.

It's extremely unfortunate that you can't download it safely from any reliable source -- i.e., Microsoft -- anymore, but if you have it already burned onto a DVD, you can still activate it and use it.

I have a 64-bit version of the 7100 build burned I'd be happy to share with people, but you'll have to go to the website to get your own key.

Now I need to find a free file sharing website that I can upload a 3GB iso file to hehe... :razz:

Hi,I have always used xp,even when i bought my computer last year,i tried vista for a week(to long) then put xp on it,I am using windows 7 ultimatex86 at the moment might upgrade to x64 when things settle down a bit,but have to say that windows 7 is the best so far,i thought i would miss xp but picking up windows 7 was just so easy,and i find it faster at everything,especially start up,xp used to take about 20-30 secs to fully start-up(all programs)windows 7 same kind of programs 10 secs tops.I had to use xp yesterday for the first time in weeks and oh my god dont wanna go there again,like watching paint dry.

I've never timed anything as far as a comparison between W7 x64 and XP Pro x64. Also I don't have XP installed any more so I can't say for sure. But I do remember this. XP x64 was faster than anything else I ever used. Now W7 x64 feels about the same. It just seems a little more stable.

Back