Windows 7 Windows 7 locked folders reset

bhei5130

I need some serious help guys. I'm not exactly dumb in the field of computers but this one has me stumped.

Half of the folders on my computer are locked for absolutely no reason. My friend did something by accident (he doesn't know what) and now all my folders with itunes (music) and my pictures are all locked. I can unlock them somewhat by changing the ownership in advanced security settings but this will not leak down to the subfolders. I really don't want to personally unlock and add ownership to the 100s of folders I have.

I have tried the command prompt originally used for vista to reset the security setting and it does not work.

I have tried just about everything. I just want to reset all the security settings on my computer and unlock all of those folders.

Worse comes to worse I wanted to reformat my drive.. but i cant because my OS is installed on my C: drive... and i downloaded windows 7 home premium off the website and lost the link to create a disc of the OS...so i can't even freaking do that without losing my OS forever.

on top of that windows refuses to help in person because im past my 3 month warranty. I am NOT paying them 60$ to fix something this stupid

If anyone could help i would really appreciate it

- Really Really annoyed pc user

you can boot into safe mode and take ownership of the whole HDD - this will change nearly all folders.

hope this helps

I tried the safe mode but there are still some folders in my C: that remain locked. such as "config.msi" and "MSO cache" and everything under "users" even though i am the owner of all of them. I don't get it

and also i searched for Bitlocker and I don't have it on my computer.

I just want to reformat my harddrive but i dont have a disc of my windows 7

I tried the safe mode but there are still some folders in my C: that remain locked. such as "config.msi" and "MSO cache" and everything under "users" even though i am the owner of all of them. I don't get it

and also i searched for Bitlocker and I don't have it on my computer.

I just want to reformat my harddrive but i dont have a disc of my windows 7

Do you have your product key for Windows 7? If so, you could see if you could borrow a Windows 7 disc from a friend (appropriate version is required, of course).

If you are unable to utilize this option -- have you attempted to create a new user account to see if the issue is user specific?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

What I would do would be to open the global Administartor account and see if you can achieve anything from there. From that account, perhaps you could try ceating another user account and see if you still have the problems.

There are a couple of ways:
Open a command prompt(Run as Administrator.
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active
Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

Back
Top Bottom