Windows 7 WIndows 7 locks up at "Completing Installation"

TubeZ

I TRIED UNPLUGGING USB AND IT DOES NOT WORK

Windows 7 x64 (dled form microsoft) installs fine untill after the reboot and it says "Completing installation", whereupon the animated dotted lines after the "completing installation" stop and my mouse freezes.
Specs:
Intel pentium dual-core E2220 2.4ghz
nvidia GeForce 7100gt chipset
nforce 630i motherboard (foxconn manufactured)
seagate barracuda 7200.12 500GB
Clean install on a separate 100GB partition
I'm using the latest windows 7 RC build (7100 i believe) to install
my other OS is windows vista home premium

To add, I tried this about 5 times, it locks up every time

Last edited:
have you left it a while? I can't remmeber when but there have been several times during installs when Vista/W7 has appeard to hang but just been counting sheep or something....

Sounds like it might be a bad burn or a corrupt ISO.. ;) What app did you use to burn the ISO to DVD? I know with the Beta (Build 7000) there were alot of people that ended up with corrupt ISO's during the burning process.. ;) I'd suggest using Nero (if you haven't already used Nero).. It's free to try and has never given me any problems at all.. :)

A lot of patience required

I have now installed RC1 (7100) 3 times.
once on a laptop took it about 2 hours but it finally finished.
Next time was on my desktop. I must have picked up the wrong Version of disc as I ended up with 7057 but that was on top of Vista I elected to new install and saved the old version as windows.old. Now this took about 6 hours to complete, but I put that down to my mirror raid was also rebuilding itself.
When it finally finished in the morning I was shall I say annoyed as it ended up as 7057 and I thought I had used my RC1 dvd, however I did elect to go online and check for updates, so whether the update thought it 7057 was better I have no idea.
Resolution says I! put my vista discs back in make sure all raid rebuilds finished then swicth to the W7 discs.
OK off we go again, download from Microsoft my RC1 again cut it to DVD.
Rename windows.old to windwosvista.old let windows 7 install again replacing w7 (7057) but do NOT go online to to check for updates.
When I left this morning for work It had been running for 1.5 hours so will be interested to see if it has finally got down to asking me for the Key by the time I go home 7 hours later.
The laptop I am using now runs well on W7 very happy with the performance.
I'll keep you posted and if there is a log I can find will tell you how long it took. I am hoping the long install is just down to the very large and complexe hardware I have.

I have now installed RC1 (7100) 3 times.
once on a laptop took it about 2 hours but it finally finished.
Next time was on my desktop. I must have picked up the wrong Version of disc as I ended up with 7057 but that was on top of Vista I elected to new install and saved the old version as windows.old. Now this took about 6 hours to complete, but I put that down to my mirror raid was also rebuilding itself.
When it finally finished in the morning I was shall I say annoyed as it ended up as 7057 and I thought I had used my RC1 dvd, however I did elect to go online and check for updates, so whether the update thought it 7057 was better I have no idea.
Resolution says I! put my vista discs back in make sure all raid rebuilds finished then swicth to the W7 discs.
OK off we go again, download from Microsoft my RC1 again cut it to DVD.
Rename windows.old to windwosvista.old let windows 7 install again replacing w7 (7057) but do NOT go online to to check for updates.
When I left this morning for work It had been running for 1.5 hours so will be interested to see if it has finally got down to asking me for the Key by the time I go home 7 hours later.
The laptop I am using now runs well on W7 very happy with the performance.
I'll keep you posted and if there is a log I can find will tell you how long it took. I am hoping the long install is just down to the very large and complexe hardware I have.
Did it completely freeze up, as in your mouse stopped moving, and the animated dotted line froze?
And raden, I used PowerISO

Long install process

Yes I could see nothing on the screen except the Message from Windows saying installing windows.
Finally the install completed after nearly 12 hours!! :eek: When I looked at it some 6 hrs after start it had changed to configuring windows for 1st use and colour had changed from blue I think to Black. when I came back again hrs later it was still the same. I then remembered that it said it would reboot several times, so I assumed the DVD might have been finished with but it was still powering up every few mins and the read light lit up so next time it went out I removed the DVD and the installation completed in about 30 mins, was it looking at the DVD and getting stuck on it no idea, but now it's up and running very well I don't plan to delete it and try again with removing the DVD after 1st reboot, perhaps that what was needed I don't know. Now I'm trying to load software I purchased on Vista and seeing which work and which don't I have resorted to Panda virus software as Zonealarm do not yet have a Beta available shame zonealarm are taking so long to get of the mark.

Back