Windows 7 Windows 7 not finding drives on istall, can not get past install screen

CollieLove

Windows 7 does not recognize drives on install
Hi, I am trying to do a clean install from XP to Windows 7 on a home built system with a ASROCK AliveNF6P-VSTA Mother board, Athlon 64 6000 X2 AM2 CPU, 2 Mg Ram and a SATA hard drive.

When I try to install Windows 7, it get to the install start up screen after a long delay (as much as 5 minutes), and when I click install, it says "Windows 7 can not identify any drives on this machine" and goes back to the install screen.

my SATA drive appears in the Bios, but I can not get past this point to install drivers or anything. :confused:

XP installs fine, having no problem finding the drives.

Please Help!

You have just the one sata drive with XP on it? How old is your system? Have you checked for any bios updates?

Is your DVD drive SATA, or PATA and set to master?

I built the system a little over a year ago. It originaly had a IDE Hard drive, but I have swiched it out for what will be 2-160 GB SATA drives. I only have one set up now as I am waiting on cables that I have ordered.

The DVR/RW and CDR/RW are IDE. The DVR is set as Master, the CD as slave.

I built the system a little over a year ago. It originaly had a IDE Hard drive, but I have swiched it out for what will be 2-160 GB SATA drives. I only have one set up now as I am waiting on cables that I have ordered.

The DVR/RW and CDR/RW are IDE. The DVR is set as Master, the CD as slave.

Also, I have updated the Bios in the past week.

Ok, why? if I may ask? I will be hooking up the second drive ASAP when I get the cable, I am just curious why I have to have 2 drives? I do not have RAID enabled.

I'm not sure about Raid as I have never used it.

If one drive fails, you've lost both operating systems.

well... I was not planning on doing a duel boot system. I just want to install Windows 7 on the computer on a clean install :D

Sorry misread your first post, I thought you were dual-booting

Can you get back inti Windows XP so, can you upload a screen shot of Disk Management?

Yes, XP is up and running. Just tell me how to get to what you need, and how to post it and I will get it on line for you.

Hit the Win key + R. Mow type dskmgmt.msc. Open the window a little bigger so all drives are shown, Now Hay the Alt PrintScreen button, Open Paint ad choose Edit > Paste, save It as a ,Jpg file, the post and look for the manage attachments further down below the box you type into, A new screen will pop up and browse ti the location where you saved the file In fact save It to the desktop, Click the Browse button an locate the file on the desktop, The filename cannot contain any spaces,, Now click the Upload button and it will show up in the post.

I would probably unplug the CD drive.

If you have not used SATA before, is that controller turned on and did you install the drivers, which are normally part of the Chipset drivers? A RAID driver is different, since it usually says Matrix or something, so you do not need that.

I have the bios set for SATA Enabled, and have gotten my second drive installed, (finaly go the cables, so much for fast shipping...)
And, as for doing a screen shot, well....the Alt + Pntscn buttons do not seem to be functioning, so, here is what it says:
Volume Layout Type File System Status Capacity Free Space % Free Fault Tolerance overhead
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(c) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (sys) 149.94 GB 143.00 GB 95% no 0%
(f) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 149.05 GB 148.98 GB 99% no 0%

Disk O Basic 149.04 GB Online (c) 149.04 BG NTFS Healthy (system)
Disk 1 Basic 149.05 GB Online Local Drive (f) NTFS Healty
Disk 2 Removable Drive (G) no Media (this is a card reader in my HP Printer)
CD-Rom 0 DVD (D) No Media
CD-Rom 1 CD-Rom (E) No Media

I am attempting to load W 7 32 bit again now, Here is a blow by blow of the screen

Loading Files
Starting windows (blue screen with bird and squiggly lines)
waiting
waiting (2 mnts) no HD activity, no DVD rom activity
still waiting (5 mnts)
fianly the install screen (app. 7 mnts)
Clicked next
Click install now
"Windows can not retrieve information about the disks on this computer."
Click OK
Back to install now screen

As you can see, I can not even get to the Disk screen to add driver or anything.

Let me kno what you think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom