Windows 7 windows 7 not waking from sleep

gumpster2008

I have a dell xps 630 with windows 7 on it and when it goes to sleep it can not be woke up. It wont wake from keyboard and mouse or from pushing the power button. It wont even turn off if i hold the power button, i have to unplug it. Any ideas? BIOS or windows Problem??

Idea; Stop using sleep mode until the RTM.
Sorry, but Windows has always had Sleep/Hibernation issues. Just quit using it.

Idea; Stop using sleep mode until the RTM.
Sorry, but Windows has always had Sleep/Hibernation issues. Just quit using it.
I agree, and add, Dell in particular, have always had sleep problems. For interest, did it work in Vista, or maybe this is a new purchase?

I agree as well, I've only tried using sleep in Windows a couple times. and each time it didn't work at all, so rather than beat my head against the wall trying to figure out why I simply quit using it.... You'd think Microsoft would actually try to make that feature "work" and more effecient... but then again... ;)

I agree as well, I've only tried using sleep in Windows a couple times. and each time it didn't work at all, so rather than beat my head against the wall trying to figure out why I simply quit using it.... You'd think Microsoft would actually try to make that feature "work" and more effecient... but then again... ;)
I have run into the same issue with the sleep and hibernate issue. They always worked perfectly in XP and VISTA to my recollection but when i tried to hibernate in 7 i was unable to resume the session. DO NOT USE THE HIBERNATE OR SLEEP FEATURE IN WINDOWS 7

I wanted to turn it on so the computer would sleep and save some money but for now I guess i will leave the sleep off. When the bata starts i will submit a bug report on it to both dell and MS.

I wanted to turn it on so the computer would sleep and save some money but for now I guess i will leave the sleep off. When the bata starts i will submit a bug report on it to both dell and MS.
I already sent it in the pre beta build 6801 to microsoft about 8 times so hopefully they get the message.

I had the same issue until I customized the sleep mode to NOT turn off USB.

If you go to the Power Options -> USB Settings -> USB selective suspend setting -> Disabled

I have a Logitech MX 5000 Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse and even though the system seemed to respond it just wouldn't come back completely. When I hit the keys on the keyboard I got the No Connection on the LCD and decided to look a little deeper and setting the USB to Disable did the trick for me.

I love how it completely shuts down the whole system saving it from wear and tear when not in use. Even my CPU fan shuts off! A tap of a key or movement of the mouse and boom back up and running in a few secs.

I will state that from what I can tell it will pause any processes you have running. I was converting a video which didn't complete before the timer set the system to sleep. When I came back up the process started from where it stopped.

I hope this helps.

I experienced the same issue w/the default setting. I then adjusted it to 30 min for display and 2hrs for sleep and its been working fine since. darco

Had a problem with sleep also. When pressing any key on the keyboard, it would come out of sleep, but then no mouse or keyboard response. I went into the bios (nVidia 780i board) and saw ACPI option had S1, S3 and S1 & S3 as an option. When I set it to S3 only( was on S1 & S3), the sleep problems went away. Now the system responds when coming out of sleep. Maybe this will help some of you having the same kind of problem.

I only installed the beta yesterday on my Dell Inspiron 600m. Perhaps the installation process downloaded some new updates, but after leaving the computer alone it went into sleep mode automatically. Pressed the power button and it all came back up instantly. Will test some more tonight. I hope hibernate works too!

Had a problem with sleep also. When pressing any key on the keyboard, it would come out of sleep, but then no mouse or keyboard response. I went into the bios (nVidia 780i board) and saw ACPI option had S1, S3 and S1 & S3 as an option. When I set it to S3 only( was on S1 & S3), the sleep problems went away. Now the system responds when coming out of sleep. Maybe this will help some of you having the same kind of problem.

I'm having issues with the computer waking up period. I do remember seeing this S1, S3, and S1 & S3, however I didn't know what it was so I didn't touch it.

Maybe setting mine to S3 instead of S1 & S3 will fix my problem. I'll give that a shot tonight. It really irks me that I can't put my computer to sleep.

The solution of DaHound worked perfectly for me, thanks :D

After that I also disabled Wake-On-Lan because my pc woke up when I didn't wanted it to. I suspect our central router (which I have no access to) of not letting subnet broadcasts through, so I couldn't use WOL anyway. I could enable pattern match, but that's what made my pc wake up continuously :p

Lucky you, didn't work for me :(
My z545 wakes up but there is no video signal, only fan spinning and HD will spin as well.
It will not respond to anything. I have to hold the power button to shut it down.
Frustrating since everything else works perfect.

MY SOLUTION

My Solution to this problem is to give up on sleep and hibernate all together. Especially in a Beta operating system. I have many times in the past in XP and VISTA lost info because of sleep and hibernate not waking. I never recommend this feature to people. Either just leave your computer on or use a third party program to sleep and hibernate.

MY SOLUTION

My Solution to this problem is to give up on sleep and hibernate all together. Especially in a Beta operating system. I have many times in the past in XP and VISTA lost info because of sleep and hibernate not waking. I never recommend this feature to people. Either just leave your computer on or use a third party program to sleep and hibernate.

Isn't the whole idea of working with a beta to discover bugs and try different things to see if a solution can be found? Try lots of different things - power settings, bios settings etc. Don't just give up until you've exhausted all possible solutions.

I'm having issues with the computer waking up period. I do remember seeing this S1, S3, and S1 & S3, however I didn't know what it was so I didn't touch it.

Maybe setting mine to S3 instead of S1 & S3 will fix my problem. I'll give that a shot tonight. It really irks me that I can't put my computer to sleep.

I had a few minutes this morning to give this a shot and it did not work. I may try S1 to see if that does anything. I'm really not sure what all of it is, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Back