Windows 7 Windows 7 - On Start-Up Showing "Monitor Going To Sleep" BUT "Not"

Synoptic12

Have been running Windows 7 since its inception. Looking for any technical assistance regarding the above topic.

1. Upon boot-up, and after post screen, then Windows Logo, "Monitor Going To Sleep" displaying, BUT the monitor does not go to sleep.

2. Tried searching but could not locate any information. However, I tried disconnecting the power cable from the monitor, waited twenty seconds, then re-attached. Re-boot and everything was o.k.

3. Video card is fine, as is monitor. All drivers updated.

Would any have any insight as to how this action occurred, "Monitor Going To Sleep" BUT in fact, the monitor never moved into sleep mode.

Mine started doing that occasionally after the Aug Windows updates.
Joe

I believe that you may be correct (13 security updates). What do you think, and is your system still showing the 'Monitor Going To Sleep' upon start up? What is your view upon the unplugging of the monitor plug, and alleviating the issue? Thank you very much.

Sounds like a glitch. I would go to a Restore Point, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery

- pick a restore point somewhere "earlier", then reinstall updates, just perhaps two or three at a time, and reboot, if everything works take the next few updates
- you can also find hints in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Installed Updates where you can uninstall updates

Windows updates have been known to cause more problems than they solve - but so have all other programs too. It's not that easy, it's rather to be called complicated.

Video cards often work better with older drivers, not the latest, newest. It's a jungle, really. Not everything is a flaw by Microsoft.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. However, I bypassed (disabled) restore a long time ago. I really had no use for 'restore' and found that a system slow- down occurred. Well versed in restore though. I certainly agree with you, regarding using older drivers for video cards. There really is no need to update the drivers unless one plays games, which I do not.

Actually, this is where 'restore' comes in very useful, but the issues concerning any aspects of defaults have been less than minimal. So, I tossed this away. Not blaming Microsoft, for they are a well respected company. Personally, their patches have always been beneficial, and rarely has any of their updates been misaligned.

Irrespective of such, what is your take on unplugging the monitor cord, then reattaching after twenty seconds, then no more error "Monitor Going To Sleep"? As Joe S stated, he received the same issue after latest updates in August; same here. For this to be a 'quirk', is somewhat of a coincidence? Thank you very much for your assistance. I delve too deeply sometimes into matters which may be trivial in nature.

P.S. - Looking at your digital signature is most interesting. You know, that very well may be true. I did not realize Abraham Lincoln made such a statement.

Ah, in fact I may have the same issue, of a kind: I get a monitor initiated box saying "Going to power save mode", when I start my computer. My guess is, the settings are made too fast - startup hangs for one second --- the system / monitor reacts with sleep or power save. Need to take a look at it. Unless a wiser one steps forth, and knows it all. It could perhaps be cured via monitor settings?

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice. - Abraham Lincoln, speech in Washington D.C., 1865

I do like your signature. I read AV1611 / King James, Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Back