Windows 7 Windows 7 RC1 install

rev2k7

Lately ive been trying to install windows 7 rc1 , but it keeps failing at 21 percent expanding files when i try and do a upgrade.

But i have a question when i install windows from boot , do i have to format my HDD or can i keep the rest of my data and just reinstall windows ?

The best solution is a "clean" install.

Remember, however, you'll need to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

Do you have multiple partitions or multiple hard drives?

Did you build the ISO at it's slowest burning speed, eg 1x?

well first off im trying to do an update off the main harddrive with windows.
I have only 1 partion for each HDD and i have 4 but the thing is i cant back up my data to the other 4.

And my main problem is everytime i try and update it always gets stuck at 21 percent at expanding files.

Let me get this straight,

You have one hard drive with an ODS installed.

You have 3 other hard drives in your machine also?

Am I missing something or are you saying you have one hard drive with 4 partitions?

I'm trying to figure that out too reghakr.. sounds like 4 HDD's with 1 partition on each but I'm not sure either..

@rev2k7

So your doing an UPGRADE and not a CLEAN INSTALL? As reghakr said, I would also recommend a CLEAN INSTALL.. ;)

Do you have any devices plugged into your pc? Such as USB Drive(s), Webcam, Printer, Mic.. etc.. If so, you might want to unplug them until the installation has finished.. ;)

i meant that i have 1 partion for each of my harddrives lol.

The only reason i dont do a clean install is i got no way to backup all my crap.
I have USB wireless keyboard/mouse ,headset, But my usb has been acting up and not connecting right for my iphone so i had to connect a old usb hub to my pc. But i did the upgrade back then with no hub and i had my keyboard/mouse ,headset,usb extention.

I recieve no errors. I am just stuck at expanding files like i used to have the same problem with windows 7 beta 7000. But then 7077 worked for me. So i tried a higher up win7 rc1 rev and it still would't work.

Are these other partitions formatted with nothing on them or do they also have an OS installed?

You can't even copy files before you started the Windows 7 Install? Are you trying to install the 64-bit or 32-bit edition?

I would suggest creating a new ISO,using the slowest speed possible (1x) and use a good quality DVD.

Go to Start, run, and type diskmgmt and report back on how each hard drive is setup.

In other words, things like

Healthy, System, Boot, Active
Page file
Active, primary partition
Unallocated

The above is just an example, please post back with your configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these other partitions formatted with nothing on them or do they also have an OS installed?

You can't even copy files before you started the Windows 7 Install? Are you trying to install the 64-bit or 43-bit edition?

I would suggest creating a new ISO,using the slowest speed possible (1x) and use a good quality DVD.

Go to Start, run, and type diskmgmt and report back on how each hard drive is setup.

In other words, things like

Healthy, System, Boot, Active
Page file
Active, primary partition
Unallocated

The above is just an example, please post back with your configuration.

First off I am not USING a DVD. I am trying to run the upgrade from the install files on my c harddrive
i am trying 32bit windows 7.

and for the diskmgmt i tried it wont work

rev2k7,

I and 99% of the regular posters here agree that an upgrade is not a good choice.

Hundreds of useless files are left behind and there always seems to be driver conflicts also.

A "clean" install is the proper way to install Windows 7.

Make sure you have backed up all your important documents, music, picture, videos, etc and copy then to a flash drive or external USB drive if you have one.

Please note:

You will have to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

First off I am not USING a DVD. I am trying to run the upgrade from the install files on my c harddrive
i am trying 32bit windows 7.

and for the diskmgmt i tried it wont work

Well there's your problem.. your trying to run the Upgrade from the C:.. ;) I'd suggest (as reghakr originally did) doing a CLEAN INSTALL.. Chances are you'll have very few to NO problems at all that way.. :) If a clean install just isn't an option for you then I would at the very least do an upgrade from a disc, not from the c: ... Just make sure when you burn the ISO that you choose the slowest possible burning speed to avoid any corruption... ;) Then boot from the DVD and choose "Upgrade" (if that's the only option you have in your case).. If you can get all your files moved to another HDD for now, than I'd definitely go with the CLEAN INSTALL..

I'm curious... if you've got 4 Hard Drives with 1 partition on each then howcome you can't put all your personal files on one HDD for now and then you could move them back (if you wanted to) after the installation was done..?..

Also, are you trying to upgrade from Windows XP or Windows Vista??

Last edited:
im sorry i wasnt speffic

Im trying to upgrade from win 7 beta to rc1. and my other HDDS are near full or cant fit my crap.

As stated above, Upgrading isn't the recommended way to install the RC.. ;) I'd do a clean install of Win 7 RC overtop of the Beta.. :)

Part of downloading the W7 RC1 states that you must do a Clean Install. When I downloaded mine, it was repeated over and over again to do a Clean Install.

Also, if your trying to install from the C: drive, you normally will run into cyclonic redundancy errors... that is a possible reason why it is hanging at 22%. Take these guys advice and burn the install disk and do a clean install.

Back