Windows 7 Windows 7 RC1 won't recognize my hardrive

egamble

I picked up a new hitachi 1tb drive on sale this weekend, and figured since I should be reinstalling windows anyways I'd give windows 7 a shot. When I first installed it, the drive showed up fine. Later, I installed again and I can't get my hard drive recognized. It shows up in the BIOS, but not in the disk managment screen. I am running it on an ASUS P5QL-E with the OS installed on a separate 250gb samsung drive. Anyone have any tips?

Have you tried assigning a drive letter to it? ;) This can be done in the Disk Management utility.. ;)

As I said in my first post, the drive doesn't show up in disk management, but is recognized by my BIOS.

Have you tried running "chkdsk" on it to see what (if any) errors come back..?

This is a long shot but worth a try none the less.. Put the Win 7 installation disc in, boot off of it as if your going to reinstall the OS, once your to the "HDD Selection screen" the new drive SHOULD be there.. select it, create your partition(s) and format it.. then cancel the installation (your system will reboot, and the new drive should now appear in Win 7).. I remember doing that a couple times in Vista with new HDD's...

You have to remember though, the most likely reason why Win 7 isn't recognizing it is because there isn't a partition to be recognized yet (unless of course you got a bricked drive, which hopefully isn't the case).. ;)

Last edited:
I have already formatted this drive and copied important data onto it from my previous build. The drive is connected and plugged in fine, just windows 7 doesn't want to recognize it.

I have already formatted this drive and copied important data onto it from my previous build. The drive is connected and plugged in fine, just windows 7 doesn't want to recognize it.

Well that changes things up a bit.. ;) Sorry, from your previous posts I thought the drive was blank and un-partitioned.. ;) Just give me a moment to gather my thoughts and I'll see what else we can try.. :)

Back
Top Bottom