Windows 7 Windows 7 restore

paulbdoc

I used easy transfer from vista to make a copy of my programs, and transferred them to an external HD. I then installed a clean copy of Win 7(Ultimate).
I tried to use easy transfer to replace the files onto my new OS, but it does not work. The HD onto which I made the backup has 20GB of files,but will not allow me to transfer them back. Any ideas??

I used easy transfer from vista to make a copy of my programs, and transferred them to an external HD. I then installed a clean copy of Win 7(Ultimate).
I tried to use easy transfer to replace the files onto my new OS, but it does not work. The HD onto which I made the backup has 20GB of files,but will not allow me to transfer them back. Any ideas??

Oh man.. you got a problem. If I only had a dollar for every time I cautioned people about using this backup method....

I assume your files are no longer available ...from which the transfer file was created?

I think the backup is compressed int a .mig file? If you google savedata.mig extraction tool

You may find another one that can maybe get your data back. I don't have an personal experience. Maybe someone can help you figure out why it's not working. Good luck.

They call it easy transfer,. it should be named ridiculously hard transfer.

I've never used it and will never in the future.

I guess I;m stubborn and prefer to use my method rather than that transfer program..

I think it came out with Windows 98? Am I correct?

I can't understand why easy transfer would use a compression format in the first place. Should the one file become corrupt it's extremly difficult to get anything out of it. There is a company that specilizes in saving what can be saved from the .mig file.... so this guy apparently isn't the only one who has had this problem

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System file Corrupted or Damaged File Repair for File Type/Extension MIG

Here is a complicated procedure someone has posted that may get data out of a .mig image file.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Did you have any files on the External HD prior to doing the backup? What you might try is start Easy File Transfer and start the restore process. When you see the files to be restored you should see a customize link and then an advanced link. Open the advanced link and see if the External drive is included in the restore operations, and if it is, uncheck it. The total amount of data should be reduced by the amount which was on the external drive prior to the backup.

Back