Windows 7 Windows 7 screen flashing

ljdlc

I've been using Windows 7 build 7100 happily for the past 6 months. But recently it develops a weird problem:

The application window (like IE, firefox, outlook, explorer) flash quickly. I can see "Not responding" displayed in the title in between the each flash. I have Quad proc + 6GB memory, so the system slowness should not be a problem. The flash happens quite often, when I scroll down the screen, or typing, or have some user interaction with the application.

I've disabled Aero interface, no help. I did Windows update, no help. Someone recommends removing nVidia driver, I did not try, as I have been using the same driver for the past 6 months without problem. I've installed Windows Security Essentials recently. But disabling it does not work either. Why do the flash start to happen recently? Any suggestion?

System:
Dell Vostro-400
Windows7 64-bit, build 7100, with latest Windows Update
nVidia GeForce8600GT, driver 8.15.11.9038
2 Dell 2001FP monitor

Installed CCleaner, and fixed some minor issues, no help.
Virus Scan with MS Security Essential, and AVG, and Spybot, no virus found.
Installed nVidia 191.07 driver, no difference.
Also uninstalled some suspicous software, nothing changed.

Still have the application window flashing. Seems more application running, the more it will flash. It often happens when a dropdown list is clicked, or a popup window (as the intellisence window in Eclipse), or scroll down a web page. Also I noticed that the taskbar keeps refreshing, and reordering applications...

Anyway, looking forward to the Windows7 official release, and I will do a clean re-install.

I have the same problem here, the applications just keep flashing and i can see the not responding message, does anyone know what's going on?
I am using i7 920, Asus p6t and Win7. Checked hard drive, GPU, they seem fine
Thanks in advance

I have the same problem here, the applications just keep flashing and i can see the not responding message, does anyone know what's going on?
I am using i7 920, Asus p6t and Win7. Checked hard drive, GPU, they seem fine
Thanks in advance

Could you post a bit more info on the type of installation you have... either upgrade or clean install?

Could you post a bit more info on the type of installation you have... either upgrade or clean install?
Well, i upgraded from vista 64 bit to win7 7600 ultimate 64bit, now that i uninstalled almost all the software i have, i narrowed down the problem to Firefox add-ons and two online tv program pplive and sopcast.

As i can find online, one of these softwares create the following keys:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\HungAppTimeOut

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeOut

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\HungAppTimeOut

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeOut

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillServiceTimeOut

I uninstalled the softwares and deleted the keys manually and then everything is ok now.
Thanks for your reply:p

this is probally the stupidest question and considering i know alot about PCs , so you just goto regedit and delete those keys, but wouldnt that prevent the apps from closing i just dont want to kill my pc

Back