Windows 7 Windows 7 - Setup was unable to create a new partition

Adityasingh

Hello !!

Recently I want to install Windows 7 as my previous OS was Windows xp...

Now, I am unable to install windows 7 as , when I start the install and click on install it shows that setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition...

I have 2 hard disks , one of size 75 gb & other of 320 Gb..
Previously , OS was installed on 320 gb , but i have formatted that drive before installing windows 7...

now my 75 gb hard disk is empty & one drive of 320 gb is also empty..

It shows that 320 gb hdd ia on disk 0 & 75 gb on disk 1...

I want to install Os in any of the above mentioned HDD..

It shows that-> 1. all drives of 320 gb HDD as Logical & 75 gb HDD drives as Primary...
No system Drive..

Pls help guys!!!! unable to install OS from Past 1 week...:frown:
sending this query from my friend's laptop...
Help!!!!

Not sure I understand or completely follow. You have 2 seperate hdd's...0 and 1...correct? Or is the the hdd in question been partitioned? A screen shot of your disk management window would really help clarify.

You don't have a working OS?...is this correct? What version of the orginal OS did you have, xp 32 bit or 64 bit.

When installing windows 7, did you upgrade or clean install? Do you have the right bit version of windows 7?

Just a guess, but if the installation is not showing your hard disks then it may be because your BIOS is set to AHCI or AHCI / RAID. In which case you have two options.
Obtain the appropriate drivers from your disk controller manufacturer, extract it and put it on a USB key and use F6 option during the setup process to install the driver for your disk controller.
or
Use your system BIOS utility to change the setting to NATIVE / IDE or words to that affect.

I have completely clean windows xp 32 bit
and have original windows 7 dvd 32 bit

my bios shows both HDD

yes, I Have Two HDD..
1. 75 Gb configuration
Total 3 Drives , Each of 25 Gb..
AND WHen the installtion of windows 7 begins, it asks in which Drive u want ot install windows 7, When I select it shows unable to create a new partition or locate a system partition, check system log files
and 75 gb is fully empty aand at index no 1
all drives of 75 gb are shown as primary while all drives of 320 gb are shown as Logical

while 320 gb have 4 divers, 3 drives of 100gb & one of 20 gb
and 320 gb hdd is at index 0..
Hope u get it wht i am talking about

I am unable to install windows 7 and now, there is no os in my pc & no system drive

If you do not have anything on the drives you need to keep, because this will wipe them. During the Install, on the second page where you have the option to Install or repair, use the Shift+F10 key combination to open a command window. Using that you can clean one or both drives with Diskpart. When you list the drives, just make sure you get the one you want. Type the following commands with enter after, and if you want to clean both drives, re-select the other drive to clean and then exit out.

Diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
<--this would be if Disk 0 was the one you wanted
clean
exit
exit

What I think might be going on is you have the 320 G drive set as primary and since it shows as logical, Windows cannot put an active partition on it for the boot files. Cleaning the drive will remove the logical partition.

Edit: How old is the 75 G drive. You might want to disconnect it completely.

Last edited:
If this was mine, I would format the 320 gb hdd to a single partition drive, and install OS on that drive.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a limit (of 4) to the amount of partitions for a HDD in windows 7.

I would use the 75 gb hdd as a storage drive...pictures, documents...and so on.

Last edited:
I have done that..Cleaned my 75 GB HDD...
But getting same error..unable to create a new partition

and bro, in 3 drives of 320gb(100 gb each) I have data stored in it..so can't clean 320 gb HDD...
But one drive of 320 gb (20 gb size) is empty, so i can clean this drive and can install windows 7

If their is no way, other than cleaning 320 Gb HDD,then tell me how can i copy data of this Hard disk
I have three pendrives ,each of size 32Gb...

tell me How many partitions , should i make for These two hdd and which size..
pls help

My suggestion would be, that if there is critical data present on you 320GB hard drive, then remove it from the installation equation by disconnecting the data cable (and or power cable) to prevent any accidental destruction of that critical data.
Configure your 75GB hard drive as your primary drive by connecting it to the appropriate disk controller and configuring jumpers properly (if IDE) and if required. There is more than enough room there to support the OS installation as well as many programs.
Use the disk options icon during the setup process to delete any existing partition(s) on that drive (assuming there is nothing any longer of consequence on that drive) and leave it an "Unallocated" that should allow you to use the 75GB hard drive to install the OS.
Once that is complete you can reconnect your other hard drive either by using a second controller interface or by configuring it as a slave making sure that the jumpers are configured properly (if IDE).

Thought I'd jump in and ask this;

Are trying to install Windows 7 on an already partitioned drive, if so, that maybe the problem, for a clean install, you need an unallocated partition or drive.
You can use the Windows install DVD to delete a current partition and then create a new partition in that unallocated/deleted space.
If you haven't done this already, give it a shot, by using the "Advance Options" during the install and what Trouble just suggested

Thanks for helping...:razz:
I have successfully installed windows 7 on my pc by removing 320 GB HDD..,
and now I have replug it and it is visible in my compuer...Thanx

Now Guys, tell me one thing->
I have copied my all data from 320 gb HDD to my friend's laptop.. now I wanted to partition 320 gb & 75 gb Hdd..as both of them are empty now
So tell me In which HDD should I install OS and How many Partition should I make & of Which size??

After 1 Day, My 320 Gb HDD is Not visible...Only 75 gb HDD is visible...
What to Do??
All wires are connected properly..

Considering 320 was visible just a few moments ago, I'd say you have a broken wire or a SATA wire twisted too tight. Wires may function today but... stop tomorrow. Or, your 320 is reaching the end of its lifespan. Or... it could be a million things.

Clear the CMOS in order to get to point zero in BIOS. If your computer has stood alone for a longer period, you might want to get a new CMOS battery. I once solved my problems with a new battery.

I have copied my all data from 320 gb HDD to my friend's laptop.. now I wanted to partition 320 gb & 75 gb Hdd..as both of them are empty now

Where did you install Windows 7?

Personally, if it was my setup, I would install Windows 7 on the 75Gb drive using the whole drive.
Windows 7 will only see and use 298Gb's out of the 320.
I would partition the 320Gb with 4 logical partitions as follows;
1st partition, 10Gb's for Page File
2nd partition, 96Gb's for pictures, videos, documents or whatever you choose.
3rd partition, 96Gb's, for whatever you choose.
4th partition 96Gb's, System Image and File Backups.
Again, this is how I would most likely set it up, the decision is ultimately yours of course.

There are a few great tools for partitioning hard drives, cloning, moving and re-sizing etc:
Free Partition Magic alternative & free Partition Manager Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server - EaseUS. they have the free home version which works quite well and many people use it.
The other which I just came across recently from another post here, which is also free, has a few more options than EaseUS and works just as good.
Powerful partition manager and free for disk and partition management.

Hope this helps
Don

i had the same problem then i called up my system engineer and the only the he did is....
1)he entered into BIOS(by continuously pressing f1 at the very start of system)
2)he selected reset BIOS settings.
done after it loaded very successfully.
hope this works

Entering BIOS happens with a slightly different keys, my present is Delete, I've had F4 and F2.

"Resetting BIOS" = clearing CMOS. It can also be done by loosing > resetting a jumper on Motherboard, or by taking off and resetting the CMOS battery, a small round one on the Motherboard. In some cases the battery may have worn out, and needs replacement - not very common, but if your computer has been standing for quite a while... it won't do any harm to replace it.

But a good point, srujana.

Thanks. I now am able now to install Windows Server 2008 R2 by following these steps to clean my brand new disk.

If you do not have anything on the drives you need to keep, because this will wipe them. During the Install, on the second page where you have the option to Install or repair, use the Shift+F10 key combination to open a command window. Using that you can clean one or both drives with Diskpart. When you list the drives, just make sure you get the one you want. Type the following commands with enter after, and if you want to clean both drives, re-select the other drive to clean and then exit out.

Diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
<--this would be if Disk 0 was the one you wanted
clean
exit
exit

What I think might be going on is you have the 320 G drive set as primary and since it shows as logical, Windows cannot put an active partition on it for the boot files. Cleaning the drive will remove the logical partition.

Edit: How old is the 75 G drive. You might want to disconnect it completely.

Back
Top Bottom