Windows 7 Windows 7 slow boot time compared to Vista

Ozu

Hello! I recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Build 7100) and noticed that it seems to boot much slower compared to Vista. The only two items I see that start at start up are "VMware Workstation" and "Microsoft Windows Operating System". I also have Norton Internet Security 2010 which starts at startup, but it doesn't show in msconfig.

I have:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
8 GB RAM

I would appreciate any help you can offer and I apologize if this question was asked before.

Hello! I recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Build 7100) and noticed that it seems to boot much slower compared to Vista. The only two items I see that start at start up are "VMware Workstation" and "Microsoft Windows Operating System". I also have Norton Internet Security 2010 which starts at startup, but it doesn't show in msconfig.

I have:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
8 GB RAM

I would appreciate any help you can offer and I apologize if this question was asked before.

Hi,
welcome to the forum..:)
Is it possible for you to do a fresh install?

From your post, I take it you are seeing those two items in MsConfig Startup tab ??

If you need Vmware, then of course you must leave it. But what is the entry "Microsoft Windows Operating system? Is it connected with VMware?
Also, I am sure some readers will disagree though, anything to do with Norton security will slow your OS down.

From your post, I take it you are seeing those two items in MsConfig Startup tab ??

If you need Vmware, then of course you must leave it. But what is the entry "Microsoft Windows Operating system? Is it connected with VMware?
Also, I am sure some readers will disagree though, anything to do with Norton security will slow your OS down.

I agree about the norton, I just thought that being the op had 'upgraded' it might better serve to do a fresh install?

Everytime, kemical. Problem I am finding on forums such as this . "Define upgrade" if you know what I mean.

OK, I'll try a fresh reinstall and tell you if that works (and see if boot time might increase because of Norton). Thanks for your advice

Last edited:
Let us know how you get on...

I'm not sure that 'upgrade process' doesn't always introduce it's own problems.. I would always choose a fresh install over an upgrade..

That fixed the problem. It boots up at like 1/10th of the time it did before. Thank you! :D

Back