Windows 7 SP1 out within the year

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
While Windows 7 is generally better accepted compared to Vista's launch all those years ago, that doesn't mean the latest operating system from Microsoft is trouble free.
Word has it that Microsoft is already looking to roll out its first beta of Service Pack 1 to testers by December 2009, with a public beta to follow next January. All of that points toward an SP1 release before Windows 7 is out on the market for a year, and we still have no idea on what the expected changes would be apart from it offering a better overall computing experience.

Windows 7 SP1 out within the year

Well in todays' world SP's tend to be a combination of the the Microsoft updates. The last real SP was SP2 for XP.

I think microsoft may disagree with you on that one...:D Although it is true that service packs do contain the most recent updates as well as other changes. The vista service pack almost completely rewrote the kernal so that was pretty substancial too (SP1)..

I think bringing out a SP early is a commercial decision; people are wary about upgrading to a new OS because of "bugs" and prefer to wait until the first service pack is out that "fixes" them. I think thats just a perception people have and Microsoft may be looking to release a SP early to get people to think about upgrading

I tend to agree although I should imagine it's commercial users that they have in mind as they tend to upgrade after the first service pack..

Well in todays' world SP's tend to be a combination of the the Microsoft updates. The last real SP was SP2 for XP.

Well, XP SP3 actually added Network Access Protection options for compatibility with Windows Server, so it did add some stuff noone uses or knows about.. :D

I think bringing out a SP early is a commercial decision; people are wary about upgrading to a new OS because of "bugs" and prefer to wait until the first service pack is out that "fixes" them. I think thats just a perception people have and Microsoft may be looking to release a SP early to get people to think about upgrading

My thoughts exactly. There is that entire segment of the population that refuses to upgrade until service pack 1, so now it becomes necessary that they release it as soon as possible.

Lazy buggers..they leave it to people like us to iron out the bugs lol..

Back