Windows 7 Windows 7 switch from 32 bit to 64 bit.

jsmiller

I have a computer that I bought refurbished and they loaded the 32 bit version of Windows Home Premium. I need to run the current version of Photoshop and it only runs on 64 bit.

Need to do a clean install and I have no problem with that since their are very few programs on the computer.

My problem is I have a disk from the Reseller that says "Windows 7 Home Premium". Will that also carry the 64 bit version of the software?

Also the disk says "Licensed for use with the "Registered Refurbisher". I did license the software when I got the computer.

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade utility and it told me the 64 bit is OK to load.

Is that Refurbisher Disk OK to work from? I am assuming we are OK or they would not have given me the disk.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.
It is impossible for us to determine the nature of the disk (DVD) you have or the Windows Image file(s) it may contain (boot.wim).
It could be a typical OEM with a single image or maybe customized by the vendor and contain multiple images.
You can inspect the DVD from an elevated command prompt by typing the following
dism /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:F:\sources\boot.wim (where (F) is the actual drive letter for the drive containing your disk.
My 32 bit installation media produced the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:F:\sources\boot.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.2.8250.0

Details for image : F:\sources\boot.wim

Index : 1
Name : Microsoft Windows PE (x86)
Description : Microsoft Windows PE (x86)
Size : 806,390,831 bytes

Index : 2
Name : Microsoft Windows Setup (x86)
Description : Microsoft Windows Setup (x86)
Size : 881,382,947 bytes

The operation completed successfully.
My 64bit installation media produced the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:F:\sources\boot.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.2.8250.0

Details for image : F:\sources\boot.wim

Index : 1
Name : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
Description : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
Size : 974,874,943 bytes

Index : 2
Name : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
Description : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
Size : 1,056,354,599 bytes

The operation completed successfully.
My suggestion would be to contact whoever provide the installation media and see if they can either provide information regarding its' content or perhaps provide you with the 64 bit version of the installation media if your disk doesn't contain both.
Hope that helps
Regards
Randy

Hello jsmiller,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

The disc you received from the reseller is most likely just a x86 repair disc, to return your system back to the original installation in case something goes wrong.

x86 & x64 versions are available on separate disc's, it's highly unlikely that you have both versions on the same disc.

You would have to purchase a new Windows 7 Home Premium x64 disc from Microsoft or an online store like Amazon.
You could also try talking with your reseller to see if they would change it, maybe a heck of a lot cheaper (possibly for free) if they do and it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps

Don

Back
Top Bottom