Windows 7 Windows 7 to Windows 2000 UN/PW problem

Hello everyone and let me go ahead and thank anyone who responds ahead of time!

I am having an issue with Windows 7 Build 7100 that I havn't encountered with build 7058. I just installed the RC, turned on File & Printer Sharing, and set my workgroup. Now I am trying to connect to a simple Windows 2000 computer on my network where I store all my files (permissions set to allow read, write, ect. to Everyone). My two Vista computers are having no problems connecting to this computer and getting files but I cannot recconnect with this Windows 7 laptop (Build 7100). I am getting a window that comes up and requests Username and Password. I type Administrator into UN and there is no PW on the PC I am trying to connect to. Nothing... I have got screenshots and I will post them. Any help or suggestions is appreciated and I will provide furthur information or screenshots! :confused:

Thanks again for any help...

Hell and welcome,

Was this a "clean" install or an upgrade?

On the Windows 7 machine in Control panel > Network and Sharing Center Advanced Change settings, are all entries turned on?

Are the workgroups names all the same?

On the server, have you added all PC's to the same group as the other PC's on your network?

Hello and Thank you for the response,

1. This was a clean install of windows 7 7100 64 bit RC
2. I have TURNED on
- Network discovery
- File and printer sharing
- Public Folder Sharing
- Media Streaming

I have turned off password protected sharing
and for homegroup I have "let windows manage homegroup connections"

(This I don't understand as I am not connected to a home group and I am using workgroup.

3. All the Computers are on the same workgroup

4. "...On the server, have you added all PC's to the same group as the other PC's on your network"

Could you please explain this? My windows 2000 PC (not windows 2000 server, although I use it as a file-server) has one login which is administrator with no password. my other computers have no problem connecting through shortcuts on the desktop to this computer and reading/writing files.

Thanks again and please look at my screenshots and request more if needed from either PC. Thank you! :confused:

If you're using the Homegroup option, that;'s the reason why.

A Homegroup can only connect to other Windows 7 machines, not any other OS.

Under Help and Support,. type in workgroup for more info.

Hello again,

Unfortunatly this isn't the problem. I have all computers on the same Workgroup. There is no Homegroup setup on the Windows 7 computer. Look at the below screenshot to verify. Any other suggestions and could you look at the end of my last reply. #4

Thanks!:confused:

When you first installed Windows, you were given a choose to make a network connection and if I remember correctly, the default was Homegroup. So if you chose that option maybe that's why it's a apearring as if you're using a Homegroup.

I mentioned server because looking over your screenshots you identified one computer with the name server. i guess I just assumed you had a server.

On the Windows &7 machine, go to Control panel > System, click the Change Settings button at the lower right corner, click NetworkID and choose Home network and restart.

i believe if you choose the business network, you'll need an actual server to join a domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
try giving a password to the Win 2000 admin account and try, also u can try this way,

2000'scomputername\Administrator and then the password.

This also happens to me when I connect my Vista to any other XP or 2000 machines, I have to specify the computer name before the username. Try it out. Also somewhere I read, you cant access any computer with a blank password. I am no expert, but this is wat I have read somewhere.

When you first installed Windows, you were given a choose to make a network connection and if I remember correctly, the default was Homegroup. So if you chose that option maybe that's why it's a apearring as if you're using a Homegroup.

I mentioned server because looking over your screenshots you identified one computer with the name server. i guess I just assumed you had a server.

On the Windows &7 machine, go to Control panel > System, click the Change Settings button at the lower right corner, click NetworkID and choose Home network and restart.

i believe if you choose the business network, you'll need an actual server to join a domain.

Still no luck!!! :confused:

I did go to NetworkID and it sure enough was on Business instead of home. I changed it to home and it changed workgroup from GLEN to WORKGROUP and asked me to restart the computer. When the Win7 pc rebooted I changed the Workgroup back to GLEN (same on all computers) and tried to connect. Nothing. From here I double checked NetworkID. This was on Business again. I can't get it to stay on home. I believe when I change Workgroup it is changing this back to Business.

Also to Dreams I did Assign a password to my Admin account on the Windows 2000 PC and I tried to login

Server\Administrator and typed the password. Same as my first screenshots. incorrect UN or PW. From here I tried to create a second User account on the windows 2000 computer and assign it a password and made it an admininstrator. Nothing...

Anymore suggestions guys? I am at my wits end on this one... I got the same suggestion from a friend who works IT Dr@ams... no cigar.

I will provide screenshots if anyone wants to see anything, just ask, this is definatly got me. :confused:

Last edited:
Yes, I'm running out of ideas also, I just switched inter providers and my network is not setup yet.
My previous question...........

When you first installed Windows, you were given a choose to make a network connection and if I remember correctly, the default was Homegroup. So if you chose that option maybe that's why it's a appearing as if you're using a Homegroup

If you choose Homegroup, a dialog should have popped up with a unique password and you were informed to write this down. Do you recall this?

Hey this is one I do not recall... I do not remember being prompted to enter a password and I am 99.99% sure I would not of elected to use Homegroup. I have been using Windows 7 as a Beta prior to the RC and I havn't had this problem. This truly is unique and I do not know at this point where to go with it. It takes time and it is aggrevating but I am considering a clean wipe of the system and see where that takes me. On re-install I will make sure not to elect Homegroup if that is what I have done. I am starting to wonder if there is a bug in the 7100 build as I didn't have this in 7057 but it is a possibility I selected homegroup somehow not realizing it. am not a member of any homegroups now but if there is a bug it could be still thinking I am. I appreciate your help. Is there anyway to call more attention to this thread possibly? I might try linking to it on another forum or copieing it.

If I can't find a solution within the next day or two I will go for a clean install and see if I still have the problem...

Thanks guys!

No, actually the key was generated by Windows 7 an Windows instructed you to write done that key number to access other computers.

I would probably do a"clean' install and a "clean" insatll on the the 7055 versionto the RC.

Clean install of Windows 7 RC Build 7100 64 Bit... Same problem... I can see the other computers but I can't access them (Username/ Password). When I type in Username: SERVER\Administrator
Password: XXXXXX (Password and UN I use to log into the windows 2000 PC)

The domain is changing from Tim-Laptop (Win7 pc) to Server but it will not login with the UN and PW.

I have tried creating a second account. Now I have wiped the Win7 Computer and did a clean format and reinstall of Win7... Nothing.

My work group is the same on my Win7 and 2000 PC. (Version is Windows 2000 Pro, not server, although I use it as such)

I am not on a homegroup and when I installed win7 this time I canceled out of the homegroup setup so it skipped it. I went to System and clicked Workgroup and changed it to the same workgroup as thge 2000 PC...

nothing....

Wrong Username and PAssword is what I am getting. I can see my Windows 2000 PC but I cannot access files or folders on it...

Solved

Heres the solution;

Find your local security policy manager-> find the entry for "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level-> change it to :"Send LM &NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Now you can logon to windows 2000 shared network drives

Last edited:
Back