Windows 7 Windows 7 to XP

microbious

There are TONS TONS of ways to turn XP to Windows Vista or 7 but like most of XP users we "i" want to turn Vista or in this case W7 into XP.
I want old sort by date back
When saving files i want to be able to sellect desktop without having to co C:\Users\Name\Desktop (to long) faster my ass
Dont like search bar taking space in top of window
Cant see full path as C:\folder\folder instead its Folder Folder with icons (so stupid and confusing so i dotn even know where i am at, C:\ D:\ or other 5 HDD's i have caz it dont say)
Taskbar is FAT
I want XP style folders and files display
folders and files dont have enough space between them to cross select like XP had, instead they ll have invisible BOX around them that u click by accident all the time when u want to sellect multiple files/folders. This makes it difficult to copy file/folder into directory full of other folders caz u end up copying it into one of those folders because there is no way u can put it between them caz there is no space between them. well there is 4 or 5 pixels haha (stupid)
I want to better control panel like XP had where everything is understandable and not same crap but just from different angle. I mean u get to some place u gotta go menu\menu1\menu2\menu3\finely here. instead of menu\finely here like it was in XP
W7 and Vista are hiding more then it gives Simply try to figure out how to add printer. as stupid as it is its way to difficult for me so i had to do it old fashion by opening device manager that i had ton of problems finding.
I want installed programs in Start menu to be displayed XP style instead inside of the menu its self, i cant see then all in there caz there are to many even with fresh install.
I want XP preview on the left where it would show file information and preview
Why W7 dont know what to open DOC files with ? (idiot) Windows 95 does lol
W7 was never easier, its much harder in my opinion where everything is hidden behind multiple paths and sub menus and tabs and need for administrator rights.

yes am sure i can tweak some of these issues but still its not enough to be even close to XP.
So i ask u W7 Guru's is there such program (dont care how much) that will turn W7 or Vista into XP ? in terms of Desktop navigation and file and folder view ? as well as remove some optional components such as search bar/normal sort by date/other stuff ?

Thanks in advance

I want old sort by date back
Can't be done that I know of

When saving files i want to be able to sellect desktop without having to co C:\Users\Name\Desktop (to long) faster my ass

This is already available in the left hand pane of explorer. Yes, it is there at the very top of the list.
Did you make changes that removed the feature?

Don't like search bar taking space in top of window

It does not appear that this is removable. Wait for something like Stardock for 7. Then, maybe, but doubtful.

Cant see full path as C:\folder\folder instead its Folder Folder with icons (so stupid and confusing so i dotn even know where i am at, C:\ D:\ or other 5 HDD's i have caz it dont say)

It takes getting used to, but it is more efficient, I personally like it.
You can click at the very end of the string and it will change to the full path of old.

Taskbar is FAT

This can be fixed. search the forums.

I want XP style folders and files display

Then keep using XP. 7 is not XP.

folders and files dont have enough space between them to cross select like XP had, instead they ll have invisible BOX around them that u click by accident all the time when u want to sellect multiple files/folders. This makes it difficult to copy file/folder into directory full of other folders caz u end up copying it into one of those folders because there is no way u can put it between them caz there is no space between them. well there is 4 or 5 pixels haha (stupid)
I don't seem to have a problem with doing this.

I want to better control panel like XP had where everything is understandable and not same crap but just from different angle. I mean u get to some place u gotta go menu\menu1\menu2\menu3\finely here. instead of menu\finely here like it was in XP

This can be changed. You will need to look for the answer.
Actually, it is extremely simple if you only open your eyes.
Control Panel / View By: Small Icons

W7 and Vista are hiding more then it gives Simply try to figure out how to add printer. as stupid as it is its way to difficult for me so i had to do it old fashion by opening device manager that i had ton of problems finding.

Start / Devices and Printers ,, all I can say is, Wow!

I want installed programs in Start menu to be displayed XP style instead inside of the menu its self, i cant see then all in there caz there are to many even with fresh install.

Yes, you will need to scroll through the list. I do not think this can be changed. Again, 7 is not XP.

I want XP preview on the left where it would show file information and preview
7 is not XP. This info is located at bottom of screen. Shows More information depending on the size you make it.

Why W7 dont know what to open DOC files with ? (idiot) Windows 95 does lol
Then something in your Win7 is broken

W7 was never easier, its much harder in my opinion where everything is hidden behind multiple paths and sub menus and tabs and need for administrator rights.
Admin rights, you will need to learn security, it is a long known fact that people should not run their PC's as an admin user.

Yes, things have moved and changed a bit, some are far superior, some have changed a bit, some good be better.
You take the bad with the overwhelming good that Windows 7 truly is.

yes am sure i can tweak some of these issues but still its not enough to be even close to XP.
Actually, it is far superior to XP in many many many ways

So i ask u W7 Guru's is there such program (dont care how much) that will turn W7 or Vista into XP ? in terms of Desktop navigation and file and folder view ? as well as remove some optional components such as search bar/normal sort by date/other stuff ?
Yes, don't upgrade to 7, and continue using outdated XP.

As i stated, 7 is not XP. Do not expect it to be. They are 2 different OS's.

My take on your post is.... no matter what anyone says or what the facts are about 7, you will not like it.
Well,, you have choices,, stick with an out dated OS, spend a ton of money on a Mac, or learn linux and deal with it's short comings.

Or, Embrace Win7 for it's superiority and quit bitching.

Last edited:
spend money on MAC? LOL
Mac or Linux dont run games or any apps made for windows without additional emulators and other junk but it wont be the same as if u would run it in windows after all so no, no mac's or linux for me i had enough of that crap :)

Hey thanks for clearing things out for me.
After a while i have realized that W7 is better then XP but as a PRO windows user i had hard time adapting to new environment just like any other XP user.
But hey, i have coded few exe's that would set windows preferences to my personal bringing it closer to what i used to.
few .bat files will make me permanent administrator and some other .exe's will bring back quick launch and all other stuff that i like W7 to have by default.
I am glad i could customize W7 that much but i would love to have file detail preview OLD SCHOOL style as it was in all previous version of windows on the left , caz i tried using it from 40-60 times just today to see how practical it is and have to say its better for those who never used windows before, but for people like me it sucks ass and just slows me down about 400% down, i would have accomplished my navigation jumping into my computer faster then clicking expanding and collapsing stuff on the left nav menu lol :)

How ever i still have a question regarding 1 thing that give me problems when it comes to tracing software files deployment inside OS. Am talking about installation processes and such where installer or any running process creates/updates files located on your computer.
Once i delete files that i know have no use for me i expect them to stay deleted that way i dotn get in there by accident and wont consider them as use for me.
So one i start tracing one or another app i go everywhere in my computer looking for changes made by this app. sometimes its hard to trace only those that were effected by this particular app so i look everywhere just to make sure i dont miss anything but i cant relly do it eficently because all folders that i have removed previously are recreated by Windows 7 and i dont know why. Folders like my pictures and library folders.

I wonder if there is some service responsible for this ?
Thanks in advance
I would also like to figure out how to disable audio files icon to turn into artist picture icon instead, it confuses me and i have no idea what file format it is unless i click on it. Has something to do with media player but i am not a big fan of media player configurations.

Folders like my pictures and library folders.
These can not be permanently deleted that I know of.
There are many reasons for this.

I don't use them myself, but I have no need to delete them either.
There are certain parts of Windows that are essential, these folders are considered as such.... in the way of... joe user that doesn't know any better, deletes the folder and wants it back. They built it in that if it isn't there, recreate it.

I would assume it is being replaced through WFP (Windows File Protection).

would also like to figure out how to disable audio files icon to turn into artist picture icon instead, it confuses me and i have no idea what file format it is unless i click on it. Has something to do with media player but i am not a big fan of media player configurations.
The best way (and the way I do it) is use MP3Tag and embed the Album Art (or pic of choice) in the audio file itself.
unless you are using audio files other than MP3's you would need to see if it is possible for other file formats.
The other way is to place the picture in the folder itself, but, I havn't played with this enough to know exactly how it works. I only use Mp3 and embed the picture, it is much easier and I don't have to worry about another file in the folder etc. It cuts drive clutter, and I have not had a problem with any MP3 I have done this with.

Last edited:
is WFP (Windows File Protection) a service ? Can i get a name for that so i can turn it off ?
Also i solved picture issue with mp3 files but going to folder options and toggle show only icons and never thunbnails.
Its funny how W7 crawls into my files without asking me anything.

Windows says:
Would you like windows to show artist information for each media file on your computer ?
I say:
right i wish it would ask me that
instead windows says"
hey man i just came from there and changed everything u dint want me to so yeah, enjoy bitch :mad:
lol

WFP? Maybe, but it's Windows File Protection for a reason. I won't tell you how to disable it and leave your system vulnerable.

isnt it me who supose to decide for my own system ?
I mean its my "PERSONAL" computer so i should be able to do what ever i want with it including sex :eek:
Tell me how to deal with file protection
please
thanks in advance

Don't turn off WFP. If you fiddle with the internal workings of Windows you'll break it. It never occurred to me that I know enough to second guess the good folks who designed Windows so I leave things like that alone. I couldn't tell you if I wanted to.

You can keep having sex with your computer if you want. I don't care about that. :cool:

Last edited:
If you want a fully customizable OS that you can do anything you want with.,.. provided you know or are able to learn how

Linux

Back