Windows 7 Windows 7 tweaks

Hi there, ive just installed windows 7, and besides disabling UAC, what are the other things to disable to have a more faster desktop?

Thanks for your help.

You can turn off certain services.

I don;t have a list compiled, but I disabled these entries. Please do not go by my guidelines as this pertains to my personal desktop PC.

Internet Connection Sharing
Parental Controls
Smart Card
Smart Card Removal Policy
Tablet PC Input
Windows defender
Windows Firewall (Have my own)
Media Center Options can be disabled if your not using them (such as the Extender Service)
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

When you install 3rd party software, go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the Startup tab to see what's loading with Windows. All you need is Anti-virus, spyware detection or personal firewall if you gave one.

You can also remove some of Windows 7 features, including IE8 if you use Firefox.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, click the Turn Windows Features on or off and uncheck the items you want to remove.

Just a short list off the top of my head, others will give you more options.

I agree with reghakr. I disabled many of the same services, including the 2 homegroup services, since I will never use it. Just be aware of what apps you have starting up when Windows starts up, that is one of the biggest bottlenecks for boot up.

there are quite a few tweaks out there mostly small ones though like speeding up thumbnail previews and open delay on right-click menu.. but all put together it makes a difference.

Have a look at this Windows 7 Manager there are all sorts of tweaks and customisations in there. Back everything up and create a restore point before you change anything though.

Progress Report

I have done all the things suggested in this thread, and every little thing has added up to a measurable improvement.
I have to say, though, that Windows 7 Manager has transformed my machine. And I am seeing a little bit of improvement each time I re-start. I was astonished at the amount of JUNK that was larding-up my system.
My power on - to desktop time is down to 35sec. And by that point in time, the disk activity led is solid off. I like it!
Shut-down still takes more time than I would like, but realistially, that is not worth worrying about.

Thanks for the help!
Rick

If you're quite computer savvy, you can boost the amount of available RAM for the OS to use, set the L2 Cache size in the registry, reduce delays on hung programs, reduce menu opening delays, turn off all shadows save for the desktop icon ones, turn off smoothing of scroll list boxes, set your pagefile to a fixed size on a separate partition or hard drive....

Honestly, there's SO much you can do.

Hello Kyle,

I've heard of most of those, but can you tell me how to set the L2 Cache size in the registry

and reduce delays on hung programs. Edit...just remembered that one.

Thanks

Hello Kyle,

I've heard of most of those, but can you tell me how to set the L2 Cache size in the registry

and reduce delays on hung programs. Edit...just remembered that one.

Thanks

You can do all those things within the Windows 7 Manager

loathe,

Is this the one you're referring to?...............Tweak-7 Beta 2 Build 536

I've always had a little doubt about system optimizers as I've used some in the past and it's like you have to get out a stopwatch and the hack might shave two seconds of boot up or shutdown times.

I'll give it a try however:) and capture the changes using Regshot, then I can create a registry script from that.

loathe,

Is this the one you're referring to?...............Tweak-7 Beta 2 Build 536

I've always had a little doubt about system optimizers as I've used some in the past and it's like you have to get out a stopwatch and the hack might shave two seconds of boot up or shutdown times.

I'll give it a try however:) and capture the changes using Regshot, then I can create a registry script from that.

I have been using this one. Im the same with system optimizers but this one seems to work well. Things I would usually do on a fresh OS anyways, just a lot easier.

OK,

Thanks, got it downloaded.

I just went back into Services myself and disabled more and the majority are now set to manual.

That increased boot time by 10 seconds.

I accidentally clicked the 1-click maintenance and I can't remember the first one for junk files , but it reported 249 invalid registry entries.

Will keep you undated.

damn, all was going well and now it froze at Retrieving Visited URL's.

It is rather amazing. I've disabled 33 services, it even knew the policies I had set in the registry. I ended processes with task manager.

i notice one problem already. Similar to Autoruns it gives you the ability to remove context menu items. There was an entry for explore or open when you right-click on My computer or a folder, now it's gone. well, at least I know how to get it back. This program delves deep inside the OS. I'll have to continue, but I think I'll give it a thumbs up when I'm completeled.

If you're using Group Policy, this is so much faster.

Tweeks

Using Windows 7 Manager, I did those recommended tweeks - L2 cache size, Start and Shut-down settings etc.
Now my machine shuts-down in 17 seconds. Power-On to Login is 35 seconds.:)

Thanks to all for the great tips,
Richard

I accidentally clicked the 1-click maintenance and I can't remember the first one for junk files , but it reported 249 invalid registry entries.

Will keep you undated.

249 invalid registries in reghakr's computer:eek: think i will stay away from that part of the app. Never really trusted to reg cleaners. Thanks for heads up.

Back