Windows 7 Windows 7 - Two instances of csrss.exe running? Trojan?

SmartChip

I have noticed that I have two processes of csrss.exe running. Is this normal? I am very concerned about this and I've done some research online saying that this is likely a Trojan.

I've only had my computer for a week and I might already have a Trojan.

Can somebody tell me something should be done? :confused:

I am running my computer on the operating system of Windows 7 Home premium.

Last edited:
Solution
Having two instances of csrss.exe running on your Windows system is normal behavior. csrss.exe (Client Server Runtime Process) is a critical system process responsible for managing console windows and creating threads for various system processes.
Here are a few points to consider:
1. Normal System Behavior: It's common to see more than one instance of csrss.exe running at the same time. One instance is for the user session, and another is for handling system-level functions.
2. Trojan Concerns: While csrss.exe itself is not a Trojan, malware can sometimes mimic legitimate system processes. However, in this case, it is likely normal system behavior.
3. Windows 7: Since you are using Windows...
Having two instances of csrss.exe running on your Windows system is normal behavior. csrss.exe (Client Server Runtime Process) is a critical system process responsible for managing console windows and creating threads for various system processes.
Here are a few points to consider:
1. Normal System Behavior: It's common to see more than one instance of csrss.exe running at the same time. One instance is for the user session, and another is for handling system-level functions.
2. Trojan Concerns: While csrss.exe itself is not a Trojan, malware can sometimes mimic legitimate system processes. However, in this case, it is likely normal system behavior.
3. Windows 7: Since you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, it's essential to keep your system updated with the latest security patches and updates. Unfortunately, Microsoft ended support for Windows 7. Therefore, upgrading to a newer, supported version of Windows is highly recommended for security reasons.
If you are still concerned about malware on your system, here are some steps you can take to ensure your system's security:
- Antivirus Scan: Run a full system scan using your antivirus software to check for any malware.
- Malware Removal Tools: Consider using reputable malware removal tools to scan and remove any potential threats.
- Update Windows: Ensure that your Windows 7 system is up to date with the latest security updates, even though Microsoft no longer provides official support for this operating system.
- Monitor System Performance: Monitor your system's performance and check for any unusual behaviors or activities that may indicate malware.
Remember, if you suspect that your system is infected with malware, it's crucial to take action promptly to prevent any potential damage to your data and system.

Solution
Back