Windows 7 Windows 7 ultimate not booting after conversion to dynamic disk

shreeram0901

hello all,

somehow my hard disk partition became dynamic. i formatted system and insttaled windows 7 ultimate in the dynamic disk partition.

from then onwards system is not booting. only black screen with cursor on the upper left corner of the black screen.

if i am not wrong windows 7 cannot boot with dynamic disk. i will have to go to the disk management and after conversion of dynamic disk to basic disk with deleting all the volumes (data). it is possible to boot with windows 7.

but system is not booting...not opening..so i cannot go to disk management.

hrad disk is showing some partitions with system reserved.

except system reserved all the partitions are shwoing dynamic.

and in only one partition formatting option and installing OS option is coming while i booting system with OS DVD.

reinstalltion through OS DVD is possble by booting through OS DVD. but in advanced option repartition option is not coming.

the one partition in which i installed OS previously, only in that formatting option is coming.
in other partition neither formating option is coming nor extend.

please help

You have to use the bootable CD of Partition Wizard V4.2. which you find here (pw422). Burn that .iso to CD and load that. Then delete as many partitions as required so that you have only 4 (including the system partition). Then you can reconvert the dynamics to primaries with PW.

PW is the only program I know which can do that. And as you are at it, I suggest you convert the C partition to logical. Else you will run into the dynamics again next time you try to create a partition.

Here is a tutorial how to convert dynamics with PW (Option 4) Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

Here is another PW tutorial: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD - Windows 7 Forums

Last edited:
You have to use the bootable CD of Partition Wizard V4.2. which you find here (pw422). Burn that .iso to CD and load that. Then delete as many partitions as required so that you have only 4 (including the system partition). Then you can reconvert the dynamics to primaries with PW.

PW is the only program I know which can do that. And as you are at it, I suggest you convert the C partition to logical. Else you will run into the dynamics again next time you try to create a partition.

Here is a tutorial how to convert dynamics with PW (Option 4) Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

Here is another PW tutorial: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD - Windows 7 Forums

Thank you Whs...

but using PW, 1st my system should boot to open the control panel. but system is not botting up at all. only the black screen with cursor on top left corner.

then how it is possible???

If this is a new install, the easiest thing might be to clean the drive and start over.

Whs's suggestion of using Partition Wizard will show you the condition of the drive, as far as dynamic or basic, but it you converted it to dynamic after the install, and now want to change it back, not sure if there is a way to keep your install.

If you want to start over, you can use Partition Wizard or Diskpart, but I know Diskpart will not allow data recovery when converting from dynamic to basic.

If you want to try, before you do anything, you might boot to the Windows 7 install DVD and use the Repair option and do a Startup Repair to see if it can do anything.

Thank you Whs...

but using PW, 1st my system should boot to open the control panel. but system is not botting up at all. only the black screen with cursor on top left corner.

then how it is possible???

The PW link I posted is for a bootable CD. You have to burn the .iso to a CD and load from the CD. If you don't read the stuff I post, you will not understand and I can't help you.

I just installed Windows 7 on a new drive. Set it all up and then converted the Disk to dynamic. The system booted fine (see attach) with the dynamic disk.

Converting it back to basic will wipe out the install if you use Windows. The bootable Partition Wizard Mini-Tool will not convert to disk back to basic, but gives you a link to get the correct version, and I think you have to install it.

So, from what I can tell, if the install would not boot, you may have already lost it.

Attachments

• Dynamic Warning.GIF
    Dynamic Warning.GIF
    18.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Dynamic Warning_2.GIF
    Dynamic Warning_2.GIF
    13.8 KB · Views: 429
Back