Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate, Possible graphics card error with BSOD?

MichaelJohn

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a wonderful Friday afternoon, I present a dilemma and acquire some assistance with anyone who is tech savvy in computers. Before I describe my problem, I just want to let you know that I have searched for this error and received no solution. But, I believe I have narrowed down what the problem is and I have a strong feeling it has something to do with or revolving around my graphics card(?). I have a report that I saved in my notepad here after the BSOD and it states that it will help describe my problem but I cannot locate it within my computer files(?) (Doesn't show up.)

Any game I try to run will crash randomly, even with the settings on low, so I figured it's graphics related(?) I hope anyone can decipher this, it's very confusing and certainly frustrating. I have tried anti-virus scans, registry cleaners, even cleaning out my computer, everything seems to be in place and running fine, the whole nine yards. I'm sorry for a detailed problem, I'm sure its a simple fix but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8009F7F010
BCP2: FFFFF8800FB69630
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\110112-36863-01.dmp
C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-176374-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Please provide this info for a complete analysis:
http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html

While waiting for a reply, have a look at this article for troubleshooting the video card errors: Video TDR Timeout - 0x116 + 0x117

Ok before I attach the compressed file I also have to say my Microsoft Control Center has stated that I have 2 important updates.

Download and install a driver update:
[h=2]Download and install the driver for USB 3.0 host controller. [/h]Is this why my computer keeps crashing when I play any video game? What does this driver do and how important is it?

Solve a problem with Nvidia Graphics Driver:

Windows cannot download the solution at this time. I made sure that my drivers for my graphics card are downloaded. My graphics card hardware seems to be fine as well, fan runs, except for the random game crashes via BSOD.

Here is also the compressed file, hopefully someone will be able to pick at it:

View attachment 011112-18330-01.dmp

Edit: Also the Microsoft action center tells me that my graphics driver has stopped working 6 times.

I downloaded BluescreenViewer and it gave me these three:

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d000 fffff880`04294000 fffff880`04388000 0x000f4000 0x4ce799fa 11/20/2010 1:50:50 AM
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+37d00 fffff880`0fd84000 fffff880`0fdca000 0x00046000 0x4ce799c1 11/20/2010 1:49:53 AM
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+ade630 fffff880`0f08b000 fffff880`0fd7f000 0x00cf4000 0x506b3099 10/2/2012 10:21:13 AM

Oh hahahahahahahahhahaa yeah.

nvlddmkm.sys is a nVidia driver, and in the past 6 (or so, it started in the 29X.XX version drivers) months the new nVidia drivers have been known to cause multiple issues, including BSODs (I should know, I personally dealt with the problem in my own computer).

dxgkrnl.sys is your DirectX drivers (for playing games/video rendering) - that's another graphics card/graphics related problem.

The USB 3.0 host controller just controls the USB 3.0 input/output so I highly doubt whether it's your USB drivers causing the problem.

Anyway, to the analysis:

ASACPI.sys Mon Mar 28 13:30:36 2005 (42476C4C)
Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility (a known BSOD maker in Win7). Also a part of the Asus PCProbe and AISuite Utilities
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ASACPI.sys

Known BSOD maker in Win7. Uninstall that, and see if it fixes anything.

Also in the analysis, it points to nvlddmkm.sys, which makes me almost 100% sure it's something to do with your graphics card.

So: Have you tried doing a clean install of your graphics drivers? Chances are you haven't, so here's the instructions on how to do so -

Before doing this - download but don't install the latest nvidia drivers here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Now:
1. Reboot the computer, repeatedly press F8 to access Advanced Boot Options. Select Safe Mode.
2. When Safe Mode has loaded, Start > QuickSearch “Device Manager” or Start > Control Panel > View by: Large Icons > Device Manager.
3. On Device Manager - Display Adapters > [select onboard GPU] – right click > Uninstall. Remember to tick the box labelled Delete the driver software for this device.
4. Uninstall the GPU, and reboot the computer normally.
5. On Windows, wait for the card to reinstall. When the card is reinstalled, you should receive the message “Device [GPU Name] has been successfully installed – <card name>”. When this notification appears, close it and reboot your computer once more.
6. Now once you've rebooted, install the new driver, making sure to select the box labelled "perform a clean install" to be on the safe side.

Hope you can get back soon

:)

You said the latest drivers for Nvidia are buggy, so why would I want to even download the latest ones? By the way I do not know how to uninstall the ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY which is starting to frustrate me. Windows update will re-download it. I reverted to the older graphics drivers from 285 version and worked fine up until now. I just want to play League....

Sorry, I have to correct that:
nvlddmkm.sys is a nVidia driver, and in the past 6 (or so, it started in the 29X.XX version drivers) months the new nVidia drivers have been known to cause multiple issues, including BSODs (I should know, I personally dealt with the problem in my own computer).

Just 296.10 through to 301.42, 306.97 driver version should be ok to use.

You can disable automatic updates in Windows Update.

And, in my honest opinion, League (assuming it's League of Legends) is a really bad game - you're better off with Warcraft III (ROC or TFT), DotA Allstars or DotA 2.

Sorry, I have to correct that:

Just 296.10 through to 301.42, 306.97 driver version should be ok to use.

You can disable automatic updates in Windows Update.

And, in my honest opinion, League (assuming it's League of Legends) is a really bad game - you're better off with Warcraft III (ROC or TFT), DotA Allstars or DotA 2.[/COLOR]

So 306.97 version is ok to use? And the atk0100 acpi utility will reinstall even if I set windows update to manual. I want to get rid of it, is there anything else that I could uninstall from nvidia, or just uninstall the utility and get the 306.97 version of the drivers? And I play more than just league, curious about dota though. How would you go about uninstalling something that automatically reinstalls itself every startup?

The 2005 version of the ATK0110 driver is provided automatically by Windows Update
So, un-installing it will only result in it being installed again.
You must go to the Asus website and get the 2009 version for your system/motherboard.

The 2005 version of the ATK0110 driver is provided automatically by Windows Update
So, un-installing it will only result in it being installed again.
You must go to the Asus website and get the 2009 version for your system/motherboard.

Well I have even more trouble trying to find a download for this driver. I went to the asus website and downloaded the 2009 version. It gives me an error right off the bat and I can't install, all it says is error. Would I have to uninstall the old ATK drivers and try installing the new ATK0100 drivers again? But how can I do that when windows will just automatically re-update to the 2005 version of the ATK0100 UTILITY drivers? And yes I have turned on manual mode so that windows doesn't update anything and it STILL downloads the out-dated ATK0100 UTILITY. I am really lost, my OS version is Windows 7 64bit, Ultimate. I installed the right one I'm sure, maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

So 306.97 version is ok to use? And the atk0100 acpi utility will reinstall even if I set windows update to manual. I want to get rid of it, is there anything else that I could uninstall from nvidia, or just uninstall the utility and get the 306.97 version of the drivers? And I play more than just league, curious about dota though. How would you go about uninstalling something that automatically reinstalls itself every startup?

To disable automatic reinstalls:
  • Go to Start–>Search type in gpedit.msc
  • Click the file to open the Local Group Policy Editor and show Windows who is in control!!
  • You want to go here: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Device Installation. Click on the subfolder Device Installation on the left and on the right side you will see the possible restrictions.
  • Right Click on Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings and edit this option, set it on ENABLED.
    Reboot Windows and enjoy its inability to pollute your system with its standard driver, open gpedit.msc again and revert the change so you will be able to install your driver.

Just install the 306.97 drivers first and see how that works out

What is the exact make and model of your Asus motherboard/system?
With that info I can (most times) locate the proper driver version.

What is the exact make and model of your Asus motherboard/system?
With that info I can (most times) locate the proper driver version.

Would I be able to get it from a program? Or possibly on the motherboard itself? If not ill locate the box with all my papers.

@general and usasma: would installing this updated driver fix my problem completely? Because I get the same bsod error, as last time. And thanks general ill definitely do that

We discovered the errors due to the ASACPI.sys driver several years ago. And fixing it usually fixes the BSOD's - BUT - there may be other things involved, so there's no guarantee that it'll stop things.

Open the case up and look between the slots in the area where the add-on cards go. It's usually marked there on Asus motherboards.
You can try some system information utilities also - but I'm not familiar with any of them.

To identify your motherboard:

install PcWizard (if i remember correctly, from techpowerup) and run it, it'll show the motherboard name.
as usasma said, open your case up and look at the model printed on it

Also referencing to his post above^, installing the new motherboard drivers/video drivers are a possible solution to the problem. It could work, it could not.

To identify your motherboard:

install PcWizard (if i remember correctly, from techpowerup) and run it, it'll show the motherboard name.
as usasma said, open your case up and look at the model printed on it

Also referencing to his post above^, installing the new motherboard drivers/video drivers are a possible solution to the problem. It could work, it could not.

The motherboard name is Asus SABERTOOTH X58 and the model number is the longest number on the motherboard with a bar code on it?

From the link that General HiningII provided:
- select the Utilities category
- select the second item down there (PCProbe) and install it.

That should update the ASACPI.sys driver.
If not, I can extract the files from that download and setup an individual installer from the package.

I will give someone $40 to get on teamviewer and fix my computer. I'm tired of not being able to play video games and it just happened again, I'm getting extremely frustrated here, if you have skype that would be great too, I can give through my card, a senior admin or whatever can mediate. I do not know how to install a bios from a rom and I heard it is very risky. And the PC pribe thing just shows me my system cooling specs, etc....

Back
Top Bottom