Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade will not install from Vista Ultimate

clynde

From Vista Ultimate I tried to install Windows 7 Utimate upgrade but after a long time, I got a message that the upgrade failed. Next I was directed to reverse the upgrade and boot from Vista. Next I ran Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
Information about upgrading:
Windows Mail, Parental Contreols etd not available
Upgrade language: English(Unitied States) Language pack detected. I do not need the language pack but I don't how to uninstall from Vista.

Next I tried to install Windows 7 by booting from the CD/DVD. I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate on another drive(empty). I have not registered this upgrade; so I can reverse the install.

The failure must not be due to hardware but something else. What caused upgrade failure noted above.

Win 7 fails to upgrade vista quite often. That's why almost everyone here offering advice recommends a clean install.
Some common things that cause the failure is programs that vista is loading... especially av and firewall programs. If you can get everything turned off it may work. Run msconfig and uncheck everything under startup.. reboot and try it.. you may have to use the special norton uninstaller if you are running norton.. it's a really bad program.

In the end though you will still have a mess... may experienced people here have tested upgrading and found so many problems ranging from incorrect drivers to thousands of duplicated files and one problem after another fails when you start using your software. Even Microsoft recommends a clean install.

Solution

I installed a multiboot with Windows 7 Ultimate in a clean drive. I got most of the programs reinstalled.

I can boot into Vista via the bios option. I press F8 which directs me to the orginal startup menu.

I was able on my computer to install Windows 7 Utilimate via the upgrade option without any problems. I installed Windows 7 Professional onto my notebook (Vista Business) without any major problem, I had to delete a few programs that I was told to do. I also installed Windows 7 Professional into a computer using XP professional which had very few applications installed without any problems.

The upgrade option still leaves many useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

It would be interesting to see the reports of duplicate files from people who upgraded. Just click "start" and type and enter "du" and it will show how many duplicate files are on your system. Be careful if you remove anything other than .xml miles or stuff you are sure about because the duplicat file finder has no way to really know which program windows needs.

I have about 30 duplicate files... they are just reports .xml files in the diagnostics folders.

I tried typing du an it did nothing.

I remember way back from Windows 3.1 upgrading to Windows 95, many 3.1 files were leftover mainly in the c:\windows\system32 directory. There's already a ton of files in this directory so removing them improved the performance if the PC.

You can tell I'm a clean freak.

I tried typing du an it did nothing.

I remember way back from Windows 3.1 upgrading to Windows 95, many 3.1 files were leftover mainly in the c:\windows\system32 directory. There's already a ton of files in this directory so removing them improved the performance if the PC.

You can tell I'm a clean freak.

Dohhh. I see.. it was put ther by Windows 7 manager. I thought it was part of windows.

Back
Top Bottom