Windows 7 Windows 7 USB Wireless to Windows XP Router?

Qwertyportne

My old XP computer died last week. It was connected to my wife's XP computer with a wireless card. Her computer is connected to the Internet via a router. My new computer came with Windows 7, but my old Belkin PCI wireless adapter card doesn't fit the slots in the new computer. So I began shopping for one of those wireless USB devices but encountered so many people with negative comments, I thought I better come here and find out the best way to get from my new computer to my wife's router. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Bill

My old XP computer died last week. It was connected to my wife's XP computer with a wireless card. Her computer is connected to the Internet via a router.
This is confusing to me!

How exactly are you connecting to your wife's computer? It's usually a wireless router/access point that you would connect to for wireless networking.

Do you have a Wireless Router or Access Point? If so what type is it Wireless B, G, or N?
What encryption method was you using to connect, WEP, WPA, or WPA2?

Is there a reason why you are asking about a USB device and not another wireless card?
If you would like another card, we would need to know what card slots you have available. Since you say a PCI card will not work in the computer, I'm guessing a PCIe x1 would be available for Wireless PCIe Cards.

The more details that you can share, the better we can advise. :)

Thanks for trying to help. I researched this thing and hopefully have answers that will help you solve this thing for me.

My wife's XP computer is connected to a wireless router with an ethernet cable. My old XP computer had access to her router via a Belkin F5D7000. It was a wireless G with WEP encryption. Worked great for many years now.

My new Windows 7 computer has two slots, one long and one short. The long one looked like it would accept my Belkin PCI card, but the keyway slot is off by several pins and the mounting plate on my Belkin card is far too long and wide.

Oh well, I thought, I'll get a USB wireless adapter, but lots of negative comments makes me reluctant go USB from a Win 7 computer to an XP router.

My new computer is one of those eMachines. I specifically bought one that said it had PCI expansion slots. Now it sounds like the industry has some new kind of PCI slots?

Thanks for the link. Maybe that is the way to go. I just don't know much about this stuff...

Bill

Back