Windows 7 Windows 7 Volume Control

rray6

I'm just installed 7 Ultimate (clean, full install) on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop. So far, so good although I do not really notice much difference in performance. I do have one minor complaint. I cannot get the slider volume control in the taskbar to open or stay open. The volume icon is there but it only flashes the slider control for about a second and will not stay open. To change volume, I have to right click and open the volume control panel. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this issue? Thanks.:)

Robert

I posted this message a few minutes ago and see that it was labeled "SOLVED" almost immediately. There were no replies to it so I assume I inadvertently clicked something. I do not have a solution in case anyone would like to offer one. thanks.

Robert

When I left click, the volume control slider opens and then immediately closes (a second or less).

When you hold the mouse over the icon does it show the volume? If you left click, do you see the blue circle while it opens?

This might be one of those things that don't seem to work as they should, which might mean some type of corruption. I have not found so far any setting for it, but I will keep looking. Try moving the icon to another location.

Hopefully, it isn't your mouse doing some type of double clicking since you only need to click once.

When I hold the mouse over the icon, it tells me the percent volume. When I left click, either nothing happens or the volume slider will flash on and off (1 second or so). The only way I can adjust the volume from the taskbar is by right clicking on the speaker icon and clicking "Open Volume Mixer". Clicking on "Volume Control Options" does not do anything. I can hear all sounds and I can adjust in Sounds/Control Panel but not in the taskbar. I have upgraded everything (BIOS, all drivers) just before I installed Windows 7.

Robert

Not sure if it's worth a try but maybe remove your sound card from device manager, reboot and let windows reinstall the driver on it's own.

If that doesn't work, try getting more drivers from Dell. If audio drivers are not available for Win 7, you might try the Vista ones. I am running the Vista Drivers on my system to get the Legacy support.

I think I found the problem and stumbled onto the solution. I had installed a prgram I use called Tunebites for converting audio & video to different formats. When I looked at my sound options I had my default PC speakers and then about a dozen Tunebite entries. I disabled the Tunebite entries and now my volume control is working more like normal. I will report this to Tunebite to see if they have a fix if one is needed. Thanks.

Robert

Back