Windows 7 vs. Vista CPU and memory performance...

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Today we'll be looking at two core components; the memory and the CPU. We’ll be using a triple channel memory configuration with our Core i7 920 processor clocked at 4GHz. We'll be running our testbed through our standard memory benchmark line-up which does a good job of testing both the memory and CPU.

Fid the rest of the article here: Windows 7 vs. Vista CPU & Memory Performance Comparison Introduction :: TweakTown

Nice review.
The one exception I could take with all such articles is that I would be more interested in seeing similar benchmarking done on lower spec systems.Everything I find out there is for Core2Duo or better, I'm running the lowly pentium D at 3.2 GHz and i feel like I'm way snappier than XP (superfetch's doing i think) but Vista was very piggy at times on this system. I would love some quantifiable data on similar systems or even older P4's or even the later Celeron systems. Not enough of the right kind of attention gathered by reviews of this type i guess but I would be very interested.

I know what you mean.. Unfortunately a little product advertising creeps in on the sly but hey it's all gravy I guess...

I know what you mean.. Unfortunately a little product advertising creeps in on the sly but hey it's all gravy I guess...
Yeah few people would be interested in spending the days or weeks necessary to plan, set up, and execute such testing in a properly scientific manner for no gain at all. Damned capitalism strikes again!:eek: Oh well we still have our community generated anecdotal evidence which may be more realistic anyway.

I would be more interested in seeing similar benchmarking done on lower spec systems

Good point. My system is not as fancy as the one in the article - I have an E8400 processor and 2gb 667 mhz cheap RAM.

I can see no noticeable difference in speed, or performance between Vista and 7 on my system.

I suspect there will be on lower specced systems.

It seems to me to be the whole point of 7 - the Vista experience on a lower spec machine.

It seems the world has fallen in love with the netbook including MS as they designed this os to be able to run on the majority of them.. I guess it also makes financial sense to have an os which will work on just about anything with a processor......

Hi Drew,
I know what you mean...7 just feels better all round, snappier and user friendly. Vista was ok just sitting there looking pretty but hated it if it had a job to do.... To be honest though, I didn't mind vista really and quite welcomed it's release. Initially though i hated it and almost installed xp again. Eventually I grew to really like vista for the most part and 7 still has that vista feel about it except that this time it works straight out of the box!

Back