Windows 7 Windows 7 will not boot

Bejuzz

Hello all. Just yesterday my laptop has been acting funny. Everytime it begins to boot, it goes into the startup repair and keeps complaining that something is damaged. Afterwhich it restarts and keeps going back to the same menu and keeps telling me there is a problem! Ive tried going into safe mode and other junk but nothing seems to work. I really dont't want to restore everything, for I am not sure how I will do that without a cd-drive(not in laptop). Also, I am worried that I will lose my licenses on some programs if I do so as well.

Anyone have a similar problem with solution?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

How about some background on how you got where you are? Is this a new laptop, was Win 7 pre-installed?

Did the initial Win 7 install work normally? Have you changed anything?

When it goes into repair install, do you have an exact message?

Hey, sorry, here is a bit updated story.

I got the laptop in September, a Gateway netbook, and I just upgraded my Vista to Windows 7 in November. I got the update for free and decided to do it. I noticed that it slowed down a lot during boot but didn't mind that so much so as long as it booted! I dont recall installing anything new, it just randomly started to act funny and I would have to keep restarting in order fix the problems. Just recently now it keeps telling me Windows failed to start, do you wish to check for repairs or start windows normally? I tried normally, and it failed again. Did repair, and repair couldnt do anything and would restart and go back to same menu.

Just now I disabled auto-reboot to prevent it from restarting and I got a message telling me of a fatal system error on a blue screen. Something with a known dll. This doesnt sound good to me, but, thats sort of where I am now. I unfortunately didnt make a restore point during all this so you can imagine my fustration. Dont know what to do, whether to boot somehow from USB, but I am not familiar with that actual process of it all. I heard it was possible to launch some applications from a USB, but I really am not familiar with all that.

Hope this is more helpful.

Last edited:
Netbooks have some challenges that normal computers do not. If I were you I would at least get the install files on a bootable flash drive. There are several tutorials on how to do this.

I am assuming you installed over Vista so you still have programs and drivers from the previous install. If you can't get it working you may have to do a Custom install which means you will need to back up all your data prior to this.

If you want to try to keep your current install, you will probably need to start going through and taking out some programs or devices or whatever you can to see if you can pin down the problems. Many times, anti-virus type programs slow down the system. Video or other hardware drivers might be causing problems so you might start updating those.

Use msconfig.exe to turn off startup programs to see if anything helps.

Check the Event Viewer to see if you have any warning or error messages that might point to a problem.

Unplug external devices when you can.

Back