Windows 7 Windows 7 won't install on new SSD

TeamSharkie

I recently purchased a new 60GB OCZ SSD for my old Inspiron E1505. However, when I tried to install Windows 7 on it, it always stops during the second step and gives me the error message "Windows cannot access the installation services. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the installation."

The strange thing is, it has gotten as far as 88% on the second step before I get the message. It usually stops around 55%. Also, whenever I get the message, it no longer finds the hard drive. I have to turn off my laptop and turn it back on for it to show up again. This is unbelievably frustrating. Any ideas? I've tried TWO copies of Windows 7 so I know it's not a problem with the software I have.

Welcome to the forums.

Unplugging (power from) SATA's may help. Try disabling them in bios, but unplugging the power cables would be more effective.

Thanks for the reply. It didn't come with any CDs so I'll try disabling the SATAs in the BIOS. On that screen, I see a Partition 1 with 100MB allocated for the system and a Partition 2 with 59.5 GB. As I mentioned before, when I come back to that screen after a failed install, it no longer finds anything. I have to end up backing all the way out and then turning off my laptop.

So I checked on the OCZ forums and the two steps are basically to upgrade the firmware and to check whether my system supports IDE mode. The firmware shouldn't be an issue since it said all drives shipped since Feb should have the latest version. How do I check whether my system supports IDE mode?

In the bios, you can look for the setting for IDE mode - as opposed to RAID, or AHCI. All motherboards are different.

I don't think your error is specifically because of going to the SSD. For some reason, it seems it loses the ability to read the source material, based on the error you've shown.

In cases like this, installing from a USB stick almost always solves the issue. There are plenty of guides on how to put the Windows 7 installation onto a USB flash drive. If you need help with this, please let us know. If you do this, you will have to tell the motherboard to boot from the flash drive. In many cases, the flash drive is seen as a hard drive so you have to keep that in mind when trying to find it, while setting it as the first boot device.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I have MagicISO on my laptop so I think I can use that.

When I right clicked on the CD and selected "Make Image File from E:", I had an option of "Make CD image" or "Export boot image". Would it be the export boot image option?

I have just installed an SSD on my PC and have done a clean windows 7 64 bit instal with no trouble at all.

Previusly I had a Raid set up so I plugged in the new SSD and went into the BIOS and changed from raid to IDE/SATA
and then go into "boot drive selection" and selected the new drive as the boot drive.
I think that is all, then install windows 7

Back