Windows 7 Windows 7 Won't Wake Up!

Hmm, sounds like a different issue than I'm having. I just saw this though

Link Removed - Invalid URL

might help.

been having the same bother with my pc,old dimension 5100,any way windows 7 installed an update for my graphics card nvidia Geforce 7300 and the whole wont wake up thing started ,i did 2 things 1 of which seems to have sorted it.the first was download the dell driver for my monitor rather than the windows standard PnP driver,the second was start>control panel>power options>in your preferred plan change plan setting>change advanced power settings>pci express>link state power management >change to off and apply. my best guess is the latter of these 2 worked .hope this helps

My problem (happens every once in a while) is after the monitor goes off after 20 minutes and I come back and move the mouse to bring back the desktop; the mouse moves freely, but the keyboard and desktop are frozen. After a short period of time it is operating again and back to normal (20 seconds to several minutes).

I have the exact same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.

I seem to find a workaround over it, but just testing it through a 1 minute sleep, i'll move on to 5 10 and 20 to check if its really the case

The buggy issues came from two words... HYBRID SLEEP

you can see the where from :
- Control Panel > Hardware and Sound >Power Options > Edit Plan Settings
- Open the "Sleep" tree > Open the "Allow Hybrid Sleep" tree and choose "OFF"

So far after turning this one off i've had succesful return with no hangs (both display off and sleep off with 1 and 2 minutes respectively), i will increase the time to see if the issue is time related or indeed because of this... Hybrid Sleep option thingie...

Thanks, so far this seems to work for me, but it will take several days to be certain.

Does making this change cause the computer to consume more power?

Last edited:
Well this doesn't work after all. I even went into Power Options, switched to the High Performance option and set it to Never go to sleep, and I still have this problem. :eek:

I tried making sure I closed all applications before letting the computer go to sleep. I thought they were all closed but I looked at the Task Manager and Relevant Knowledge was running. This is an annoying program that is always popping up on my screen when I surf the web.

I did some searching and there are forum discussions implicating RelevantKnowledge in the Windows freeze issue.

There were lots of instructions on how to remove it by editing the registry, but I just went to the Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program and removed it that way.

It's been six days now and I haven't had a freeze-up, whereas they used to occur daily, sometimes twice a day.

been having the same bother with my pc,old dimension 5100,any way windows 7 installed an update for my graphics card nvidia Geforce 7300 and the whole wont wake up thing started ,i did 2 things 1 of which seems to have sorted it.the first was download the dell driver for my monitor rather than the windows standard PnP driver,the second was start>control panel>power options>in your preferred plan change plan setting>change advanced power settings>pci express>link state power management >change to off and apply. my best guess is the latter of these 2 worked .hope this helps

This setting (the second one) works for me! Thanks a lot!!!!!!

I'm having the same issue. Once the comp goes to sleep it does not want to wake up. I'll try turning off the hybrid sleep to see if that is the issue. If it is then Microsoft should find away to resolve this problem. All my components are win 7 64bit compatible and have the most recent updates for all my drivers. Also did a ram test to rule out leaking memory and installed a brand new hard drive so the issue is definately a problem with the software.

Shut down the computer and unplug the power cord. Let it set for a few minutes and then plug the cord back in and power up. That worked for me.

Last edited:
I installed Windows 7 over XP yesterday, and thought everything was fine. After loading several programs and downloading a few, all of a sudden the screen went black and the light on the monitor turned from green to yellow, (sleep mode). Since this happened, I cannot reboot. Tried everything I know, including un-pluging the video card, and un-pluging the AC. but nothing works. Aparantely the computer and the monitor are both asleep. Please tell me how to turn the computer back on if anyone knows how.

OK, what do you mean you installed Windows 7 over XP?

If the monitor looses a signal, the green to yellow, it might mean sleep or it just lost the signal. Have you checked the connections to the monitor? Are there any lights on your system flashing while you think the system is asleep?

Have you tried another monitor?

If the system is asleep, it should wake up with a mouse or keyboard movement. If not, try hitting the power button.

Windows 7 will load drivers for devices during the Windows Update process. Maybe a driver for your video card was downloaded and is causing problems. Starting in Safe Mode might help make a determination.

I meant that I did have XP and upgraded to Windows 7. I cannot boot the computer at all. Yes, I have tried a different monitor with the same results. The only lights on the front of this HP is the power button light and the hard drive led. The hard drive light comes on when I power up, but it only flashes a couple of times and then stops. At any rate, I am unable to boot it. If I could get it on, maybe I could find a solution.

This sounds more like a hardware problem if you can't get it to display anything at bootup. I doubt this is your issue, but my laptop occasionally won't boot. I unplug, take the battery out, push the power button on, replace the battery & plug back in. Works everytime.

But I would guess your issue is a different component. If you know anything about hardware, I would suggest taking out one component at a time and try to boot: battery first, memory (1 stick at a time), hard drive. Replace each after trying until you get something to come up. Another common issue is with the video card, which is beyond me.

I cannot explain why any of this would relate to a Win7 upgrade, but all of it is easy enough just to give it a try!

I am having this exact same problem. I have an eMachines ET1331G and recently installed a new Samsung B2030 monitor. My computer is less than 2 years old and everything was working fine when I left my computer at 4am last night/morning. Then tonight, I find that I can't get my computer to wake up. Nor will the monitor. I get a digital/analog box in the upper left corner of the monitor then it goes to sleep. I've tried numerous hard reboots, but nothing happens. Even my keyboard is dead. However, the mouse light is still on, but it will not wake up the computer. I know my monitor is still working because I hooked it up to my laptop and it worked perfectly.

The only thing I can think that I did differently is change the resolution setting on the monitor because it is widescreen and I couldn't see about an inch of whatever was on the screen on each side. I changed the resolution so I could see the entire image. I can't believe this would completely shut down my computer!

Obviously, I can't do any changing of anything in the control panel because I can't see the control panel or anything else because the monitor won't come on. just like kj5si, I am at my wits end. I've tried unplugging everything and then doing a hard reboot, but my computer still goes into sleep mode. I don't have another monitor to try, because my old one completely died, hence the purchase of the new one. Right now, I'm dead in the water. Any solution that you may have I will try. I'm sure kj5si will try them too.

HHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

You might try unplugging the computer, then plugging it in again & powering it on. You should see something - initial boot information. At this screen press F8 and boot into SafeMode. SafeMode defaults to a usable resolution. If you can get into SafeMode without a problem, your issue is highly likely the resolution change you made. (You'll have to do some research how to get back to a usable resolution in normal boot mode - likely just "Use Last Known Good Configuration")

Here's some info on booting into safemode: Getting into Windows Safe Mode

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Computer finally came back on. If I could crawl through this screen and give you a hug, I would!

Now, I'm going to change the sleep mode thing and I think that will solve my problem. I don't think its the resolution on my monitor, because I kept it with the size I chose, then restarted it, and the computer came back on without a hitch. I think this is just a glitch in Windows 7. And I freaking LOVE Windows 7, all except this sleep mode thing.

Again, thank you so much. I was at the point of thinking I would have to buy a new computer and I really didn't want to do that. I love this little eMachines computer.

PuterMomma

Re: Work around - sometimes

When I try to wake up from hibernation, my screen doesn't always wake up. However, I have found a work around for it. Type my password to login (on the black screen), then ctrl-alt-del, which wakes up the monitor and gets me going. Hope that helps, and hopefully someone figures out the root cause!

Windows remains the crappiest OS ever devised. It's full of ridiculous problems and nonsensical operations. It has no functionality because its architects don't understand design. They're mumbo-jumnbo hairy-eared idiots. They have, as Jobs famously quipped, "no taste".

I hate windows. Absolutely despise it. I didn't understand what I was missing until a publishing company I worked for introduced my to a Mac. I'm still using the same Mac laptop I bought in 2003 and I've NEVER had a problem with it!!!! Think about that!!! Every Windows machine I've ever owned was eccentric and useless in about 1 to 2 years!!!

Now, though, the firm I work for bought me this shitty Acer desktop computer and Windows 7 to interface with their Windows server. Great. Peace of mind and usability have gone out the WINDOWS.

My computer randomly fails to wake up. I can't change folder or file names randomly when Windows erroneously decides I have some phantom file open. I have to click everything 1000 times and answer really annoying questions. I have to close down and start up every effing day! I waste tones of time faffing around with all this BS just because it's built like ****. And the funny part is, Windows 7 TRIES to look like a MAc OS!!! But Microsoft can't even copy right.

Windows is the worst. Windows 7 sucks almost as bad as Millennium Edition - does anyone here remember that BS?

Well - fllowing folks suggestions on this list, I turned the screen saver to blank. I hope that's enough to solve this wacky problem. But, really, what do you expect from the people who named their operating system after a pane of glass? Yep - they have as much personality as a transparent pane of glass. grrrrrrrrr.

Lastly, I'm using FIREFOX to post this. Why? Because IE keeps crashing!!!! LOL!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom