Windows 8 Windows 8.1.1 update scheduled for April 8th

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has announced at the Build 2014 conference that Windows 8.1 Update 1 will be released on 8 April via Windows Update. Paul Thurrott has an article detailing what's new:
Compared to Windows 8.1, Update 1 represents what Microsoft can do in four months. So this is about one third the number of changes, or updates, or improvements, or whatever, as we received in Windows 8.1.

Ref:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-review

Microsoft have also confirmed at the Build conference that the Start menu will indeed return. It's not made clear when this will be though whether it will be with 8.1 or Win 9 remains to be seen.

I heard tell that the MVP's out there will get the 8.1 update 1 early through the MVP subscriptions....on the 4th of April, any truth in that.

( IMO ) Only because we have an MSDN account but no we don't get anything offered to us specifically.

I downloaded and installed the new update last night. Rather than just use the update I got hold of the latest 8.1 iso which has the update included. So far so good but I was running the update anyway. 8.1 is getting more user friendly by each update although it still has some way to go before it will convince the XP/Windows 7 users. Maybe if the full start menu returned but I think 8.1 already has a 'tarnish', a bad name if you will ( much like vista did ) and it will need the release of something totally new before the old guard even think of upgrading from xp/win 7.....

Personally I don't mind 8.1 but that's simply down to my own preference.

Back