Windows 8 Windows 8.1 File Locations

Monarch Lover

I just set up a brand new laptop running Windows 8.1. I am not new to Windows. I have been using it since the first version came out and WAS very familiar with the Windows file structure. I don't seem to be able to find much of anything in Windows 8.1.

My husband would like me to create a couple of shortcuts for him to the Windows Solitaire games. I have searched and searched and cannot find the executable files for the games. Since they are running from my local system, I know they have to be there somewhere. We are both computer literate and don't need pictures to use the system, so I have installed Start8, so we have the luxury of a real start menu. So I just want old fashioned desktop icons, not the Metro interface.

How can I create desktop shortcuts to the Windows Solitaire games?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think Solitaire is actually not installed on your system, it's in the cloud. You find it in the APPs under Games and can play it from there.

The times of desktop icons are over. You can pin 'Games' to the taskbar or to Start though. You are now in cloud land. Installing Start8 is a mistake. You are missing all the fun. Right click on the start icon and EXIT.

Last edited:
fyi there is a good spider solitaire, as well as boardgames like backgammon in the windows store that you could find worth your time... I have | play both the free versions.

Thanks WHS - So you are telling me that anything listed as a Metro APP runs from Microsoft. So, if I am stuck in a snowdrift somewhere waiting for the tow truck to come pull me out, I can't even play games on my laptop any more? That really stinks. I think it is time I check out what Apple has to offer.

Thanks USSNorway - Are you saying that the games you talk about in the Windows store would get installed on my computer and not run from Microsoft? We are lots of places where we have no internet access and my husband likes to play Solitaire. So, I need something to run from my system.

Some games like to be online for updates and tracking scores but Solitaire isn't one of these... after install you can play any time without going to the internet.

Mahjong will want to post your game times and has online unlocks (clear 3 easy puzzles to allow you to try a hard one) but still works without internet... I have this on my laptop for mum and my phone.

there is a lot of junk on the windows store as well but each person will find something for them.

p.s. any app you don't want can be removed from the metro screen, so if the weather in Moscow doesn't interest you then just tell that app to take a hike

Thanks Again USSNorway - I will definitely check out the available Solitaire games for my husband. He definitely wants to be able to play both Solitaire and Mahjong even if we do not have an internet connection, which is common while traveling.

Thanks WHS - So you are telling me that anything listed as a Metro APP runs from Microsoft. So, if I am stuck in a snowdrift somewhere waiting for the tow truck to come pull me out, I can't even play games on my laptop any more? That really stinks. I think it is time I check out what Apple has to offer.
LOL, I guess it was made for us Floridians. We don't have snowdrifts.

Back