Windows 8 Windows 8.1 update broke windows

Collin Woods

After updating windows its been acting broken. Sometimes when i boot it up my windows color would change from blue to purple, the computer heats up a lot faster, google chrome videos will act broken as well, the desktop background will go away and be replaced with a back screen, i will get random nameless page shaped icons on my background taking up space. This update basically affected everything. I know it was the update because before i installed it the computer was working perfectly. I got rid of everything i thought was causing the problem. This update is very infuriating :mad:

Hi Colin,
have you considered either using System restore or uninstalling the update to see if that helps at all?

I had no idea i could uninstall the update. I just checked for new updates and got 2 important ones. Should i install them and see if that fixes it or uninstall the bad update and then install the new ones? .How would i uninstall it and would this affect any of my data and items on my pc?

When i go to uninstall i find a like 5 updates that were installed on the day the bad update was installed. Do i just uninstall all of them?

Last edited:
Hi Collin,
if your unsure which update it actually was then I guess yes as you can always install them again. What do the updates relate to?

Ok well you could create a system restore point and then remove them.

Yesterday i tried uninstalling 2 updates but after restarting my pc they were still there. Is there something im doing wrong? also i checked again today for updates and i have 24 optional updates. Should i install the optional updates before removing any updates or should install the optional updates and see if that fixes my problems

Last edited:
Hi Collin,
some updates won't uninstall so it isn't that unusual for them to not be removed. Regarding the optional updates, I would check through them and make sure nothing is driver orientated (if it is right click on it and hide) and then install the rest as it's usually best to have all Windows updates (usually).

Also just run a few basic tests please.

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. Type
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results

Download and run Malwarebytes:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

After doing a system restore on my pc because of a bad update everything was working well again except when i try to open a folder or file i get a message saying its unavailable. It says it might was moved, renamed, or removed. Did i do something wrong or should i do another system restore? The weirdest part was if i opened the computer and opened the files they would show up only later they wouldnt work

Last edited:
I did a system restore and now that fixed some problems but i still have the glitches from the updates. Sometimes google chrome crashes and my desktop background still disappears and i still get those random nameless icons. Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:
It could be that windows has become corrupted. Try running the sfc scan outlined above as this will check for and if possible fix any corruption found.

After doing the scan i had a corruption got it fixed and so far im still having problems. Another glitch even decided to show its self. After about 10 minutes i cant open files. Instead of options i only get five options and none of them let me open the file. Is there any way to fix any of these problems? Ive tried everything.

Last edited:
Hi Collin,
can you list your actual machine specification please. Also consider booting into the advanced boot options by visiting PC settings, Recovery, Advanced start up (same place you find 'Safe mode'). Look for 'Last good known configuration' and try that otherwise I'd start thinking about either a reset or re-install

Back