Windows 8 Windows 8.1 video sound issue

I experienced the same problem when I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. The videos that I was watching online that used flash player had garbled or muffled speech. After some troubleshooting I found the problem and a simple solution. I went to the Realtek HD Manager and the Speaker Configuration was set to 7.1 Speaker, I changed it to Stereo, and that fixed the sound problem.

The update must have changed my default preference. I believe Speaker Configuration of 7.1 Speaker is for several speakers and a subwoofer. I supose the subwoofer setting must of produced the muffled sound.

On your desktop just go to the Realtek speaker icon, right click it, and choose Sound Manager. Then check your Speaker Configuration and make sure it is set to Stereo.

Hi

For what it's worth I tried updating my drivers for my SB Recon 3D PCIe to the latest ones from Creative.
It was released earlier this year.

Now I'm still running Windows 8, but as soon as I installed the new drivers all of my problems came back again.
So this is an issue with the Creative drivers not Windows 8.1.

I have the original disks that came with my sound card, they are what I'm running now, so I may be able to update to Windows 8.1 and then remove all my sound drivers and re-install from my disk.

I'll have to think about if I want to go through all that work not being sure it will work or not.

Mike

I have the same issue, randomly happens. It's happened a few times while playing Battlefield 4, whatching YouTube videos and listening to Spotify.

It goes distorted really load, I have to press pause to stop it and then I hear the old sound the TV's use to make when they weren't tunes into a channel that noise for 2 seconds then it stops. Battlefield 4 is the only one that stops by itself and goes away for me anyway, some of my friends this happens aren't so luck and have to close the game. This might be since while playing BF4 I use a optical cable with my Astro A50 Headset so that might be the reason I don't get the analog TV sound at the end.(BF4 bug could be entirely a separate issue.) I get the analog sound through my speakers which are over RCA's I only use 2 + sub as I use my headphones for gaming.

The sound just before it stops which plays after you press the stop button I remember from the old the sound a old analog TV would make if it wasn't tuned and just had those black and white dots all over the screen, that happens every time except in battlefield so they might not be the same or effected differently.

Here are my system specs on my custom built PC I built as well. I use by built in sound card the Supreme FX.

Windows 8.1 update 1 (latest)

ASUS Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7 4770K (OC @ 4.2 Ghz)
Corsair H80i Liquid CPU Cooler
2x MSI R9 290X Twin Frozr Gaming 4GB (OC) Crossfire w/ Mantle
Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz (2x 8GB)
Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum
Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250GB
Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500GB
Samsung 27" SA950D Full HD 3D LED Monitor
Antec 900 II v3 Case
Astro A50 Headset
Logitech z506 Speakers
Razor BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Razer Mamba 2012
Kaspersky Internet 2014

I see me and the original poster and I both have ASUS motherboards and Kaspersky Internet running on Win 8.1 so it's most likely not his Audio card.

Anyone else have this issue not using a ASUS motherboard.

I might try and re install my Realteck drivers.

Now I'm still running Windows 8, but as soon as I installed the new drivers all of my problems came back again.
So this is an issue with the Creative drivers not Windows 8.1.

Mike
I have this issue and don't use any creative products so it's not that mate.

I experienced the same problem when I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. The videos that I was watching online that used flash player had garbled or muffled speech.
Don't know for sure about your issue but mine has nothing to do with speech, it's happened twice on Spotify since downloading it yesterday. I had this issue a few times on YouTube as well.

My issue is the sound becomes distorted and louder, with the same analog TV sound after I press pause or stop it which goes for 2 seconds then the problem goes away.

For me the only thing that's effected was speech, (I don't get how that could be) but it was that way in games videos and my text to speech software.

Going back to the same drivers that I was using before (when it did work OK) solved the problems.
Most of the people who have posted with issues like this were using Creative sound cards.

But you might try backdating your drivers to see it the problems clear up.
That's the only thing that worked for me and I tried everything I could think of.

Mike

Hi

Because I'm still running Windows 8 all I had to do was uninstall my audio device and reboot, it installed the default driver for Windows 8 and the problem was solved.

Unfortunately you can't do that with Windows 8.1 because it automatically installs the driver that is the problem.
If you can figure out what audio driver you were using before, I'd search for it online, most manufacturers have a list of legacy drives that you can download.

You might try looking for drivers for your sound card listed for Windows 7, check the date and find one that is a couple of years old.

At least for me the problem is clearly some problem with my computer, Windows 8.1, and the Creative drivers.

Hope this is some help.

Mike

Hi Peter

I'll check this out and see if it will help.
I'd really like to update but I need my test to speech software and sound to work.

Mike

Hi Mike
I just had a problem with my Creative web cam which has a camera with voice.
Every time I went to Google through Chrome, the light went on and would not go off. I tried everything. Finally I went to Creative and located a drive for my web cam (the fine print said Win 8.1)and after installation and rebooting, it worked as it should.
I downloaded it to desktop, removed the driver from image in the device manager then installed the updated one which is supposed to be compatible with 8.1.

I also noticed when I right clicked the downloaded icon and before i installed that you could install it in compatibility mode as Win 7 or 8 if you wish.
This right click and compatibility might be the thing for you.
Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter

I'll check it out, the problem seems to be the later driver.
It works with the one I'm running but not the one that's an update from this year.

I think I have the disk that came with my sound card.
I can try updating and then deleting the sound driver and installing the one on my disk, but I don't know if it will have problems with Windows 8 or not.

Mike

Mike
If I am not mistaken, while at Creative they said not to use the outdated disc. They should have your driver which you can set to be compatible with 7,8,8.1.
However, maybe you are onto something with that driver.
Good luck.
Peter

When I install the new driver is doesn't work even it Windows 8.
I get the same sound distortion that I did when I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

And I need to use the text to speech software.

However it seem so distort normal recorded speech as well.

Mike

Hi Mike
I mentioned right clicking the icon when you download the driver from Creative Labs so you could switch compatibility to Win 7 instead of 8 or 8.1.
No luck with that?
Peter
P.S. Creative just asked me to take a survey as I got help with my driver. I told them forum friends were having trouble too with cams and cards etc.. Perhaps this address they used to send to me might help you get in touch with them. Let us know if they help, please.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back