Windows 8 Windows 8.1 won't give option to connect to wifi securely

RogerD

0 down vote favorite
Can 8.1 only be connected by using an 8 digit pin? I can't find any other way to do this.

I have heard that 8.1 has eliminated WPA, so maybe the pin automatically does WPA2? TOTALLY unclear!!! But it seems that WPA2 should have a longer entry than 8 digits!?!

I REALLY want to use WPA2, but this option cannot be specifically found. It just asks for the PIN.

Please give very clear step by step instructions, as NOTHING about this is clear or obvious.

One of the routers used with this computer has 2 different numbers on it for various levels of security : 1) WPS PIN (used on this 8.1 computer) 2) WPA2 Key (can't find a way to use this)

Does 8.1 use the PIN for WPA2, which doesn't seem to match normal processes? AND other devices with a secure connection require the WPA2?!?

WPS is WiFi Protected Setup. It is not a feature of the operating system (8.1 or any other) but is a "feature" available on some routers. It is designed to enable simplified setup for users with little or no technical skills. The problem is that WiFi connections using WPS have weakened security and its use is not recommended. You should be able to turn off the WPS PIN facility and opt for using a standard WPA2 pre-shared key.

So if I turn off the WPS / 8 digit PIN in the router, Windows 8.1 will respond by allowing the use of the WPA2 automatically? Or will I have to do something in Windows to fix this? Will I have to re-set up the connection? If so, exactly what steps should I follow?

Please keep in mind that Win 8.1 would not allow ANY other login except the 8 digit pin up to and including the present.

It's strange that only WPS is being offered as a way to connect. The router must be set that way, because every router I've ever used has asked for the encryption key and offered WPS as an alternative. It would be simplest to disable WPS, as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom