Windows 8 Windows 8 and Outlook.com

vinoman

I've been using Windows 8 for a couple months. I have a live.com email that I use to log into Win 8. When I open Mail app (outlook and live.com) it comes up full screen and has very few controls. About all you can do is send a email. No contacts. When I go to use live.com within the Chrome browser (my default) you have more control and its not so big. The one most annoying thing about this new so-called improved email is you can't delete contacts! I have never seen this lack of control on any other email program. You were able to control your address book/contacts as needed. With this lack of control, why would you use Outlook/Live.com over say Gmail? I'll stay with Gmail for now. I hope one day MS will let you delete your contacts as needed. Because of this another bad design choices, I've lost interest in Windows 8 in general for the scattered design of the whole operating system.

When you send an email via the Mail app, if you click 'To' then your contacts will appear. These will be the contacts which are found in your 'People' app and depending on which accounts you choose to sync with the People app (facebook ect) will directly relate to what contacts are shown when you click the 'To'.
So first open the People app and populate it with your various accounts. This can then be used as your contact 'book' for various apps.

So its really a mail app and not a normal web-based email program. Now I know why it can't delete contacts.

For me, I'd rather use Gmail.

If you're looking for an email client...a downloadable piece of software, I suggest these.

Windows live mail, which is part of Windows live Essentials.... Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

eM email.... email client for GMail with support for Google Apps (mail, calendar, tasks, GTalk) | Email Client and Calendar Software for Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP

Incredimail..... Find out what?s new at IncrediMail!

For a paid email client I suggest Outlook 2010/2013 which is apart of MS Office Suite 2010/2013. I prefer the 2010 version.

If you're looking for an email client...a downloadable piece of software, I suggest these.
Incredimail..... Find out whats new at Incredimail (link removed)

For a paid email client I suggest Outlook 2010/2013 which is apart of MS Office Suite 2010/2013. I prefer the 2010 version.

I hate web sites that don;t tell you anything about what they are selling and then try to install their stuff on your machine.
That is what happens when you click on the incredimail link. Seems to work like a virus.
May be OK but it should give you a proper intro before trying to take over your mail.

To manage your contacts, assuming you are using the same account that you sign in to Windows with, open the People app.

Back
Top Bottom