Windows 8 Audio Issue: Windows Breaking Realtek HD Audio

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by themonk, Jul 17, 2014.

1. themonk

themonk Well-Known Member

After using Windows 8 for almost a year without any any issues, I found myself suddenly having this issue: there are times that the audio just suddenly stops working. For most of the time, though, the audio's ok when I turn on the computer. But after a while I can't hear anything anymore from my computer's speaker. Checked my playback devices. It says that device is being used by another application or something to that effect. Strange thing is I don't play any audio device when this happens. I usually just disable and enable my computer's sound driver (Realtek HD audio driver) to get the sound back on my computer. I realize, however, that this is just a workaround. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 themonk, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I think I would use the Device Manager to uninstall the device and all the drivers for it. Then let Windows find it again, and if there is a up to date driver you can reinstall, you might do that.

3. Saltgrass

Glad you found it because I probably would not have... You are still running Windows 8.0?

4. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Seeking knowledge.
    Did the update come through normal updates? I do not have it (Windows 8.1 64Bit).
    I see it is a roll up of earlier updates and is not available for Windows 8.1, which I installed directly from an ISO. That could be why I have not received it, as Microsoft's update page states it is not available for Windows 8.1.
    I would be interested in reading up on where you received the info that it was prevalent also on Windows 8.1 machines, in order to feed back bugs to MS.?

5. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I had googled, and, unfortunately, was unable to pin a reference to the problem with 8.1, which I was more interested in for the bug report. The solutions to the problem on 8 were a little scanty also. Anyway, many thanks for your response.

Reading your OP again:
    " Is there anything I can do to fix this issue"

Most certainly. Install Windows 8.1 (Free). It is reported that it solves the problem.

#5 davehc, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  6. Saltgrass

I have not seen the update on my 8.1 system with Realtek sound components. Possibly it is only for specific components, but the update just seems to mention 8.0. I will keep it in mind, just in case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962407

7. Nbpepper

Nbpepper Member

I believe that I have this problem too. But for some reason when ever I open my Control Panel it just sits there and doesn't do anything. I can't close it at all. The only way how is to restart my computer. So how can I uninstall this update without control panel?