Windows 8 Windows 8 Audio Issue: Windows Breaking Realtek HD Audio

themonk

Extraordinary Member
After using Windows 8 for almost a year without any any issues, I found myself suddenly having this issue: there are times that the audio just suddenly stops working. For most of the time, though, the audio's ok when I turn on the computer. But after a while I can't hear anything anymore from my computer's speaker. Checked my playback devices. It says that device is being used by another application or something to that effect. Strange thing is I don't play any audio device when this happens. I usually just disable and enable my computer's sound driver (Realtek HD audio driver) to get the sound back on my computer. I realize, however, that this is just a workaround. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think I would use the Device Manager to uninstall the device and all the drivers for it. Then let Windows find it again, and if there is a up to date driver you can reinstall, you might do that.

Glad you found it because I probably would not have... You are still running Windows 8.0?

Seeking knowledge.
Did the update come through normal updates? I do not have it (Windows 8.1 64Bit).
I see it is a roll up of earlier updates and is not available for Windows 8.1, which I installed directly from an ISO. That could be why I have not received it, as Microsoft's update page states it is not available for Windows 8.1.
I would be interested in reading up on where you received the info that it was prevalent also on Windows 8.1 machines, in order to feed back bugs to MS.?

I had googled, and, unfortunately, was unable to pin a reference to the problem with 8.1, which I was more interested in for the bug report. The solutions to the problem on 8 were a little scanty also. Anyway, many thanks for your response.

Reading your OP again:
" Is there anything I can do to fix this issue"

Most certainly. Install Windows 8.1 (Free). It is reported that it solves the problem.

Last edited:
I believe that I have this problem too. But for some reason when ever I open my Control Panel it just sits there and doesn't do anything. I can't close it at all. The only way how is to restart my computer. So how can I uninstall this update without control panel?

Back