Windows 8 Windows 8 Beta

Sarx

So as most of you probably already know, Microsoft has stated that it will be releasing the first Windows 8 Beta to the public as it did with the first Windows 7 Beta. (Of course this can always change and most likely will change) but it would be pretty sweet if MS actually does this again. I think it really helped with Windows 7 and was all in all a very delightful experience! ;)

I just hope this time around that people actually follow directions and realize that it will just be a BETA and as such won't work with every system and won't work 100% error free.. ;) Time will tell of course..

In the meantime, what do you all think? Should MS do this with Windows 8? Will you get it if they do? I think this will generate some really interesting discussion.. ;)

I believe Microsoft will indeed release a public beta. And current speculation says that will be in September ;)

I can hardly wait. I would love to be in the beta program. I used Windows 7 through out the entire RC time frame, and loved it. I hope to get my laptop fixed up before the beta comes out.

I have a feeling that the Windows 8 Beta will yield much different results than the Windows 7 Beta did.. ;) Maybe not, but I have a funny feeling it will.. We shall see.. :)

I have a feeling that the Windows 8 Beta will yield much different results than the Windows 7 Beta did.. ;) Maybe not, but I have a funny feeling it will.. We shall see.. :)

As in regards to what? Stability? Ability? Compatibility? Usability? Features...ability? Guess what I'm asking is do you think that the 8 Beta will be worse than the 7 Beta was? Also why?

As in regards to what? Stability? Ability? Compatibility? Usability? Features...ability? Guess what I'm asking is do you think that the 8 Beta will be worse than the 7 Beta was? Also why?

Actually I meant as in "broken user" results.. ;) As for the actual OS, I imagine it will be just like all other versions of Windows... a bit of a flop and then Windows 9 will be the perfected version of what Windows 8 was intended to be.. ;) Seems to be the way MS does things when they are introducing a whole bunch of new things.. Takes 2 or more versions to "perfect" what they were trying to do... ;)

I think I get ya. Windows 7 was my first hit on Beta/RC testing. Being that I was amazed at how well it worked. In no way do I expect Windows to be perfect. I am realistic about it, and know it will need improvements over time. It's the being able to find the little quirks about the OS and sharing my findings with others that is what I like about working with unfinished versions. Call it newbie fascination, I guess. LoL

I think I get ya. Windows 7 was my first hit on Beta/RC testing. Being that I was amazed at how well it worked. In no way do I expect Windows to be perfect. I am realistic about it, and know it will need improvements over time. It's the being able to find the little quirks about the OS and sharing my findings with others that is what I like about working with unfinished versions. Call it newbie fascination, I guess. LoL

Very well said! :)

So far, it does NOT appear that Win-8 is a whole new concept. What it looks like, to this old tech, is that they have (maybe) listened to their public and have addressed the BAD parts of Win-7 and tried to FIX them. For the most part, what works for Win-7 also works for Win-8, especially hardware drivers.
Programs that require the dot net framework can fail to work properly or just refuse to load.
I had to install dot net 2.0 before I could get one program to load.
Then and only then would dot net 5.1 install.

At least in this DP version, they have seriously reduced the "Bloat" that was so apparent in Win-7, with the result of an OS that installs quicker, takes up less space on the HD and runs faster.

I had a version of XP called "Stripped to the Bone", that would load in about 15 minutes. Win-8 somewhat reminds me of that old OS.

It will be interesting to see what they add for the Beta version. (all of dot net framework, I hope)

:cool:

Back