Windows 8 Windows 8 Cold Boot taking ages!

Ikram232

I have a computer clean installed with Windows 8.1 Pro, it had Windows 7 installed on it but I formated it and installed Windows 8. Anyways, boot time is very fast as the Fast Boot helps it make it fast, of course. But after booting a day later without going on it, it shows the boot screen (which is fast as normal) and it fades away (like normal) and it just stays there, the HDD indicator is not flickering or anything. I have to wait around 5-6 minutes and then it finally reaches to the login screen, I cannot be bothered to wait 5 minutes all the time so then I need to force shut it down and wait for it to successfully boot. That's only on a cold boot, if I turn it off and go on it after 4 hours or so, works normally. Also, another thing to mention, if I press a key on the long black screen, after about the same amout of minutes, it blue screen however, if I don't then it will start to boot. Disabling Fast Startup fixes it, but it takes longer than Windows 7, and the only reason why I installed Windows 8 is because of it's speed and boot time (and the Metro thing, I love it). I might as well downgrade back to Windows 7, I need help, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Ikram232

Checking through google it would seem users have had varying degrees of success using that lappie with window 8 and above. Aspire do not have any drivers for anything above Windows 7 for that model:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
You could try applying the Windows 7 drivers?

In Event Viewer Events 100, 101, 102, etc. could give you clues which processes are holding up the boot. You navigate to those events by drilling down this chain:

Eventvwr
Applications and Service Logs
Microsoft
Windows
Diagnostics - performance
Operational
Event ID xxx

Thanks for the quick replies everyone,
In Event Viewer Events 100, 101, 102, etc. could give you clues which processes are holding up the boot. You navigate to those events by drilling down this chain:

Eventvwr
Applications and Service Logs
Microsoft
Windows
Diagnostics - performance
Operational
Event ID xxx

Ok, I see LOTS of warnings, a couple of criticals and around 30 errors, and those errors are in the "Boot Performing Mantainence", I think it's because of that, how could I fix it? Here is a screenshot:
1) http://i.imgur.com/zhiAERV.png
2) http://i.imgur.com/sAXUu6z.png

Checking through google it would seem users have had varying degrees of success using that lappie with window 8 and above. Aspire do not have any drivers for anything above Windows 7 for that model:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
You could try applying the Windows 7 drivers?

I do not know which ones to install, and besides, I think it might not work anyways, please do take a look at my new reply to "whs"

This is a long shot and may not work but it is worth trying as it just takes a couple of minutes. First of all I had a similar problem with mine. I was told on my desktop to unplug the power and then hold the power button in for 30 seconds. give it another minute or two and connect the power. Turn on computer. I was told it would reset the memory in the bios or something like that. It worked. On another computer that I got rid of, it didn't work. Now since you have a laptop, you would want to unplug your power supply, take your battery out and then proceed with holding power button for thirty seconds. Just be sure after doing all that to put your battery back in and then plug your power supply in.

As I said this may not work but might be worth a shot since it is simple and doesn't take long to try.

This is a long shot and may not work but it is worth trying as it just takes a couple of minutes. First of all I had a similar problem with mine. I was told on my desktop to unplug the power and then hold the power button in for 30 seconds. give it another minute or two and connect the power. Turn on computer. I was told it would reset the memory in the bios or something like that. It worked. On another computer that I got rid of, it didn't work. Now since you have a laptop, you would want to unplug your power supply, take your battery out and then proceed with holding power button for thirty seconds. Just be sure after doing all that to put your battery back in and then plug your power supply in.

As I said this may not work but might be worth a shot since it is simple and doesn't take long to try.

Alright, I'll give it a shot now, after posting this. Hope everything goes well and I'll test it again tommorow as the problems occurs the day later.

Did you ever find out what the XamIDirectXApp.exe App is you show in your attachment? You should be able to use Task Manager to close or disable certain items. If you have some open apps you might try closing those. Since apps don't really close unless you drag them to the bottom of the screen and wait for them to rotate, there may be several open.

The Task Manager has a Last Bios time indication on the Startup tab. That number may not mean much but you could use it to judge what your delay is after the bios sequence has finished.

Did you ever find out what the XamIDirectXApp.exe App is you show in your attachment? You should be able to use Task Manager to close or disable certain items. If you have some open apps you might try closing those. Since apps don't really close unless you drag them to the bottom of the screen and wait for them to rotate, there may be several open.

The Task Manager has a Last Bios time indication on the Startup tab. That number may not mean much but you could use it to judge what your delay is after the bios sequence has finished.
I have no idea what it is, and I don't know what to do, please help!

(sorry for the late reply!)

If your running win 7 or 8 go to your bios and see if anything is enabled for win xp. If it is disable it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    435.9 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom