Windows 8 Windows 8 error 691

Subhra Mahapatra

I have connected my broadband connection to one computer its working fine. It has windows 7. When I am connecting it in other computer its showing error 691. It has windows 8. I have ISP with username and password.
I am providing correct username and password in both the machine. One is getting connected and other is not.
What may be the problem??? It is a direct broadband LAN cable connecting to the LAN port of computer no router or modem in between.

What may be the problem???
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suspect this problem is due to your ISP and how it handles DHCP leases for your network connection.
Sometimes it can be resolved by releasing your DHCP lease on one device before connecting the second, other times it's a matter of waiting for the lease to expire before you can obtain a new lease for a new DHCP connection to your ISP before you will be able to get the second machine connected.
That is why it's a good idea to connect a router directly to your ISP's device (assuming it's not a dialup) and configuring the PPPoE details on the WAN side of your router (user name and password) and then you can connected multiple devices (computers) to the switch ports of the Router.
It has to do with how they configure your virtual circuit to their network and lock it to a particular MAC address on the connecting device.
A call to your ISP might provide further details, if you explain to them what you are trying to do and what is happening when you do it.
Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I mean that I am not connecting 2 laptops at a same time. Its a single laptop at a time. I am using the connection in 1st laptop its works fine. After that i remove the cable after disconnecting and plug in to another plug in to plug another laptop its is showing error 691. I have called the ISP. And I already buy a router. Any more suggestion.

Its a single laptop at a time. I am using the connection in 1st laptop its works fine. After that i remove the cable after disconnecting and plug in to another plug in to plug another laptop its is showing error 691.
But if you plug the first laptop back in immediately, does it also have a connection problem or does it connect again without issue?

But if you plug the first laptop back in immediately, does it also have a connection problem or does it connect again without issue?
YES Its connects again in 1st laptop without issue. And 2nd no connection. Only a single laptop is running in this connection. And a specific one I mean only the 1st laptop only.

So I'm confused.
If you have a router, have you configured the WAN side with your PPPoE information?
And can you describe accurately how one, either, or both computers are connected to your network?
No i haven't connected the router yet. I will configure the router and let u know. Other wise i will call the ISP.

Back
Top Bottom