Windows 8 WIndows 8 File History

PdxRealtor

Does file history also create a restore point?

It was nice to have that restore point to where is you blue screened you could reboot and restore to a recent, previous system state.

Doesn't really say anything in the file history settings page, and I'm curious.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

File History is a data back up app. It does not create a Restore Point. Imaging apps are best used for back ups to your entire system for restoration purposes.

File History is a data back up app. It does not create a Restore Point. Imaging apps are best used for back ups to your entire system for restoration purposes.

Thanks. That confirms it.

So after searching some more I found the section to configure system protection, which is the system restore points.

I see where to adjust how much disk space to use, but not how often to make a system image. Where can I set the frequency that the system image is made?

I don't know why MS has to make it so difficult. Why not just have a 'back up' section and include file history and system protection etc all in one place? Or better yet make it one program.

System Restore is a tool that does basic system file restore. It is definitely not a gold standard restoration tool. Imaging apps is what is considered the Gold Standard. Imaging takes a snapshot of the entire system, including installed apps, customization, everything.

For most of us, Imaging is a once a month thing. I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday so my Image is the most up to date I can keep it. I also keep 5 or 6 of my most recent Images.

Data on the other hand needs to be backed up more often. That's what File History is for. For those who have lots of data that changes frequently, File History can be running almost continuously. In my case, my data is not nearly so large. In my case I also run File History several times a month. This allows my data backup to be up to date.

Thanks, great info! In my file back up files there is a configuration folder. Does that not contain system configurations and customizations?

Every time I've had to do a system restore from the Windows version it's put my system back to the exact same place it was just before whatever issue caused it to need a restore.

I'm obviously missing something...... guess it's time to use Google! : )

System Restore does a reasonable job with System Files. Unfortunately, lets say you install something, or worse yet get a virus or malware that prevents System Restore from working or does other nefarious activities. System Restore will not help.

Now if you had a whole System Image from prior to the problem, you simply insert your Rescue Boot Disk you created for your Imaging app, connect whatever media you have used to store the Image (I use an Ext HD) and restore the Image. In this situation the System Restore points are on the same partition as the OS. If this partition is badly corrupted you may not have access to restore points.

This is one reason why Images cannot be stored on the same partition as the OS. They can be saved in a different partition or drive, but if in a different partition and the whole drive dies, your Image is also lost. That's why storing Images off PC is best.

Both System Restore and Imaging have there place. System Restore quickly fixes many system files if something unexpected happens, but when real disaster strikes Imaging is the savior.

I may have already stated this, but I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday, then run File History. Both are saved to my Ext USB HD. I keep 5 or 6 Image files for 4 different PCs on the same Ext HD. I just have separate folders for each PC.

Ahhhh..... that explains a lot and makes complete sense!

I have a 500 GB 7200 USB 3.0 drive that I'm using for file history. I should have plenty of room to use that for a system image back up as well.

What imaging software do you recommend? I don't need anything too fancy. Something I can set and forget would be great.

I personally use Acronis True Image 2013. It works very well for Win 8. It is not free. I started with Acronis True Image home 2010 and 2011. Both worked well with Win 7, but were not yet updated for Win 8 and I suspect will not be since 2013 was released for Win 8. @013 also works well for previous Windows versions. By the way if you do a little searching you might find it for less that $49.99. There are many sales offered by various resellers.

Others have used Macrium Reflect or EaseUS ToDo for their needs. The latter 2 have both free and paid versions. Check out their respective web sites to see the differences. (The EaseUS ToDo product has a free version on CNet)

Picked up a copy of Acronis, thanks for the tip!

I setup the f-11 boot option, and a side from that, setup a once a week backup to my external drive.

Any other suggestions to maximize the software? What I'm after is a simple restore to very recent (no older than a week) system, just like time machine did. Gosh, that was a beautiful program!

Anyways..... The only thing I think I might be missing is an easy boot/recover method. Or access to my images.

Now if you had a whole System Image from prior to the problem, you simply insert your Rescue Boot Disk you created for your Imaging app, connect whatever media you have used to store the Image (I use an Ext HD) and restore the Image. In this situation the System Restore points are on the same partition as the OS. If this partition is badly corrupted you may not have access to restore points.

This is one reason why Images cannot be stored on the same partition as the OS. They can be saved in a different partition or drive, but if in a different partition and the whole drive dies, your Image is also lost. That's why storing Images off PC is best.

Both System Restore and Imaging have there place. System Restore quickly fixes many system files if something unexpected happens, but when real disaster strikes Imaging is the savior.

This answered my last questions , and again makes perfect sense.

I have the Acronics backing up once a week to an external USB hard drive, the same hard drive I'm using for file history.

I made the DVD restore disc (bootable disk in case of total failure) and also installed the F11 option.

I think I'll be covered. And yes, I will leave system restore, the W8 version, running as you're spot on. This works best for small failures like a deletion of a reg. file or the like.

I think I'm covered! If you see something I'm missing please let me know. I thank you again for all of your help!

The Acronis recovery disk does not work with secure boot, nor does the F11 option that you can create within the Acronics program. Yet one more obstacle to maneuver in a desired trouble free restore! Damn.....

Info here--- http://forum.acronis.com/forum/36921

Last edited by a moderator:
My PCs do not have the Secure Boot option so I cannot comment on how to get around this. I wonder if you could shut down Secure Boot during the Acronis Rescue Disk use???

My PCs do not have the Secure Boot option so I cannot comment on how to get around this. I wonder if you could shut down Secure Boot during the Acronis Rescue Disk use???

I believe you have to disable secure boot and enable legacy drive. I got tired of messing with it. I figure if I ever have to restore I can figure it out then. I printed instructions from the thread I linked to above.

Really wanted a simple way without having to remember what buttons to push, and what to turn off and on and in what sequence. Evidently these issues aren't specific to Acronis. It's any recovery disc as they are made in Linux and evidently that's the issue.

You are most likely correct. I have read elsewhere that Linux is not working with the new UEFI systems with GPT. I suspect that is what is happening here. I do not believe there is a way to NOT use the Linux Rescue Boot option in Acronis.

I figure worst case I can format, install fresh, then install Acronis backup. Or even worse install fresh and do a file history restore and go from there.

Mac-Time Machine- So simple....!

Back